COVID 19 is a respiratory illness caused by SARS-CoV-2, a virus of the coronavirus family. It is a highly contagious virus that causes a mild symptoms in a majority of the people infected. About 15% of the cases may require hospitalization and around 5% may develop severe symptoms and require critical care.
Cardiovascular problems and COVID-19:
COVID 19 is transmitted from patient to patient through respiratory droplets expelled when a patient coughs, sneezes or talks. When you breathe in these droplets or touch an infected surface and touch your face, eyes, mouth or nose, you will get infected.
Researchers around the world have discovered that the risk of serious complications is greater in people who have underlying medical conditions such as cardiac problems, hypertension, and diabetes, and conditions that weaken immune systems.
General recommendations for the prevention of COVID 19 are
- Avoid crowds
- Maintain at least 6 feet distance from other people
- Wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds regularly
- Wear a mask when you go out
- Avoid touching your face, eyed, nose and mouth
- Sanitise frequently touched surfaces
If you have a heart problem, you should take additional precautions
- Don’t miss any dose of your prescriptions medication
- Ensure that you have at least a month’s supply of medication
- Follow your doctor’s advice
- Stay home and avoid going out unless for essential business
- Always wear a mask when you step out of your house
Maintain your heart in good condition
- Continue exercising as advised by your doctor
- Maintain contact with your social circle remotely
- Talk to your friends and family
- Eat a heart-healthy diet
- Avoid fatty and high sodium food
- Avoid alcohol and cigarettes
- Limit reading or watching news about the pandemic
COVID 19 can be overcome with early intervention and support. If at any time you experience fever, cough, shortness of breath, bluish lips or face, persistent pain or pressure in the chest or feel confused, call for help immediately.
- Dr.Narendran Kumar, MBBS, MD (Paediatrics), DM (Cardiology), FESC Senior Consultant, Interventional Cardiology, Heart Failure and Transplant Cardiology, Paediatric Cardiology , Dr.Rela Institute & Medical Centre, Chennai