There are days when we have to work at upping our happiness factor, thank goodness there are some healthy, natural ways to boost your body’s serotonin level and naturally boost your happy! Taking a walk outside admiring nature is a great way to do it, as is eating cayenne peppers, leafy greens, and many more. Science reveals that you can also eat your way to happiness. Here are 10 happy foods that are scientifically proven to make you happier.
1. Bananas: Rich in potassium, vitamin B, folate and a great source of tryptophan (a brain chemical that regulates mood).
2. Berries: Flavonoid-rich anthocyanin in berries reduces inflammation and also lowers the rate of depression.
3. Quinoa: Rich in flavonoid quercetin, which is shown to have an antidepressant effect.
4. Oysters: Rich in zinc, keeps yourself cool & calm.
5. Chocolate: Chocoholics, rejoice! Dark chocolate is a good source of antioxidants, it's been found to reduce the stress hormone cortisol.
6. Salmon: Loaded full of omega 3 fatty acids, which can improve mood and fight depression.
7. Apples: Eating fruits produces calming effect, creates more energy and increases overall happiness.
8. Spinach: Rich in folic acid, alleviates depression and reduces fatigue.
9. Mushroom: Rich in vitamin D, it helps ward off depression.
10. Walnuts: Rich in antioxidants and vitamins, they improve brain function.