Cardiovascular diseases are disorders of the heart and blood vessels. Heart attacks are the most prevalent and leading cause of increasing mortality rate worldwide. A recent study has revealed that India has highest incidence of heart disease with around 1.6 million deaths per year. Heart attack, a result of sudden block of blood supply to the heart due to blood clot, is a major concern. Nearly 50% of all heart attacks occurs in people under age of 50. Therefore, there is a need to spread awareness related to symptoms and first aid measures of heart attack among youths. Major population including youths in India is unaware about heart attack symptoms and concerned risk factors.
Some of the signs and symptoms of heart attack that are enlisted by various cardiology society includes:
- Discomfort and pain in chest
- Pressure in the chest
- Squeezing feel in the chest.
- Slight pain or stiffness in the upper portion of the body including arms, jaw, back, stomach, neck.
In addition, other symptoms include dyspnea or sudden shortness of breath and lightheadedness. When a person experiences any of the above symptoms, the following steps should be followed:
- First step should be to call an ambulance or contact a hospital immediately.
- Sit in a slightly reclined position.
- Move to more ventilated area.
- Take aspirin, as it reduces the clumping action of platelets, thus preventing heart attack.
- Try to cough.
In extreme cases, CPR (cardiopulmonary resuscitation) may be required to revive the person suffering from a heart attack.