Most athletes travel away from home for training and competitions. Changes in routine schedules, next to being in a new environment can have a negative effect on their normal activity and healthy eating habits. The goal is to arrive all set to perform at their best.
Nutritional Challenges Faced By Athletes
- To Maintain hydration
- To Keep up energy balance
- To Meet body's daily requirement of vitamins and minerals.
- Eating adequate carbohydrates and proteins to meet the demands of energy by the muscles.
Planning and having an organized travel eating plan will help your body stay fit
Travel Related Challenges
Depending on the means and distance of travel, the challenges athletes face may interfere with healthy eating habits include:
- Irregular or different meal timings
- Coming across unfamiliar food
- Shortage of some favourite foods and drinks
- Food and water safety issues
- Changed environmental conditions (e.g. heat, cold, altitude)
- Jet lag resulting
Eat Healthy On Your Flight
Pick out either regular meal or opt for a vegetarian meal. Always carry extra healthy carbohydrate snacks on board. More snacks in hand will help in case of long delays. Take an extra supply of bottled water and go for regular top ups provided in the plane to stay hydrated Avoid alcohol and go easy on caffeinated beverages.
Eat Healthy In The Car
Plan your stops according to your journey, Pack a few bottles of water to keep yourself hydrated, Pack healthy meals and snacks, so you don't have to rely on takeaways Opt for easy to eat foods like sandwiches or roti rolls and nutritious snacks such as fresh fruit, muesli cereal bar and nuts
Snacks and Travel Pack Ideas
- Nuts, seeds, and dried fruits
- Fruit (fresh, dried juice)
- Sport food (bars, drinks)
- Whole grain crackers, rice cakes, popcorn, granola bars
- Instant oatmeal packs
Regular travel, change in routine, lack of fresh water, and change in climate can all lead to dehydration if special care is not given to fluids. Be sure to stay hydrated, especially in warmer climates where you sweat a lot.