Nursing your new-born is a wonderful process that helps you to establish a strong emotional bond with your child. New moms often face several challenges while trying to breastfeed the baby and the most common problem is not enough lactation.
It is quite a common occurrence and there are natural foods that stimulate lactation and produce enough breast milk for the baby. Foods that boost the supply of breast milk are called as galactagogic items. Let’s find out about the top five natural foods strongly recommended by the doctors and lactation experts.
Oats are an excellent source of lactation and are loaded with fibre for easy digestion and quick energy. It is a great source of iron and can instantly replace low iron levels caused due to delivery. Restoring iron levels in the body stimulates the production of breast milk and helps in increasing relaxation levels.
- Add oatmeal to a bowl of milk, relish overnight oats jar with fruits or bite into a crunchy oatmeal cookie.
Fenugreek or methi is a must-have ingredient for the new mothers in India and that has been in practice since ages. It not only boosts milk supply but also relieves from post pregnancy constipation. Fenugreek is now available in capsules. Take it according to the dosage or talk to your doctor.
- Soak fenugreek seeds overnight in water and chew it on empty stomach.
- Season your recipes with few fenugreek seeds for great flavour and lactation.
Raw or unripe Papaya is an excellent source of lactation. Consuming raw Papaya increases the levels of oxytocin which in turn stimulates the breast milk.
- Cook raw Papaya the desi style by tossing it in little bit of oil, tadka and season it with salt and chilli powder. This yummy curry will leave you asking for more and helps to lactate even better.
Garlic is perhaps the most recommended food item for new mothers not just for lactation but also for its enormous health benefits. According to studies, breastfeeding mothers could breastfeed their infants for longer time after consuming garlic. Garlic is loaded with vitamins, minerals and amino acids and the pungent smell of garlic will attract babies to drink more milk.
However, few babies may not like the smell of garlic and it could make them fussy while being fed.
Barley seeds are highly recommended to soothe the tummy of new mothers and also increase lactation. Barley forms the main ingredients of many lactogenic beverages and is known for increasing the breast milk supply.
- Boil Barley seeds in hot water. Drain the seeds, drink the water throughout the day to stay hydrated and to meet your lactation needs.