A balanced diet needs proteins, fat and carbs in healthy quantities. Unsaturated Fatty Acids that play a vital role in maintaining a healthy nervous system, cardiovascular health and general health and wellbeing; especially Omega-3 Fatty Acids. Apart from ‘Ghee’ and ‘Butter’ that are well known sources of Mono- and Polyunsaturated fatty acids, Fish Oil has also been a great source of Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids.
Fish oil is extracted mainly from oily fish or fish with high levels of fat in them. Some of these include:
- Atlantic Mackerel.
- Lake Trout
1. What is DHA & EPA and Their Benefits?
These are known to have a host of benefits like:
- Maintaining optimal cardiovascular health.
- Maintaining optimal skin health.
- Maintaining a healthy vision.
- Supports brain health and cognitive function when consumed in higher quantities.
People that consume fish 2-3 times a week easily enjoy the benefits of Omega-3 Fatty Acids with ease. Canned Fish is known to have higher levels of EPA and DHA - The two main types of Omega-3 Fatty Acids and are affordable to enjoy 2-3 times a week.
2. How Much EPA & DHA Do You Need?The amount required depends on the desired health benefit, but as a guide, children aged between two and three years ideally need at least 40mg a day, rising to 55mg a day for four- to eight-year-olds. For teenagers, between 70 to 125mg a day is optimal, according to their age and gender. For adults, the Australian Heart Foundation recommends consuming between 250 and 500mg of EPA and DHA every day – or in other words, between 1750 to 3500mg per week. You can achieve this by eating two to three serves of oily fish every week.
However, to help maintain healthy blood fats, consume about 900mg of omega-3s, and to relieve mild joint inflammation consumption of 2700mg per day is necessary. It is possible, although difficult, to consume too many omega-3 fatty acids, and the upper level of intake is set at 3000mg per day. 2 softgels of Blackmores Fish Oil 1000mg supplies your body with the adequate amount of Omega-3 fatty acids for your general wellbeing.
3. Fish & Toxins?
As much as consuming the right amount of oily fish for its benefits is essential we also need to make sure that we take into consideration the mercury that leeches into some fishes.
The following fishes may contain higher levels of mercury and its best to avoid their consumption.
- Shark (also known as flake)
- Orange roughly (which is sometimes called deep sea perch).
- Southern bluefin tuna.
If you are someone who finds it difficult to include 2-3 serves of fish in your weekly diet, you can get the benefits of the Fish Oil with a supplement. Blackmores Fish Oil 1000mg is a great way to include DHA and EPA in your diet. Blackmores extracts fish oil from sustainably sourced anchovies and sardines which are smaller in size and are fished in Peru where the fish have lower levels of contaminants. Not only this, Blackmores also extracts the fish oil within 24 hours of the catch keeping the fish oil fresh from catch to pack. Moreover, each batch is carefully tested for Mercury, Plasticizer, Dioxins & Pesticides and the levels of DHA and EPA so that you get the same quality and quantity every time.
Take Charge of Your Health with Blackmores!