What is ZIMIVIR 1000mg Tablet used for?
ZIMIVIR 1000mg Tablet is used for the treatment of certain types of viral infections, which include the following:
- Cold sores
- Genital herpes
It is also used to treat and prevent cytomegalovirus infection after organ transplants.
ZIMIVIR 1000mg Tablet may also be prescribed for other conditions as determined by the doctor.
How does ZIMIVIR 1000mg Tablet work?
ZIMIVIR 1000mg Tablet belongs to the class of drugs called anti-viral agents. This drug acts by inhibiting the viral DNA replication. This helps in reducing the viral growth and multiplication.
How to take ZIMIVIR 1000mg Tablet?
The dosage and the drug form depend on the age, weight and medical condition of an individual. Take ZIMIVIR 1000mg Tablet as prescribed by your doctor.
Swallow the tablet whole. Do not crush or chew the tablet. Take the drug with or without food. However, taking the drug with food prevents stomach upset.
If you miss a dose of ZIMIVIR 1000mg Tablet, please take it immediately once you remember. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, then skip the missed dose and continue with your regular dosing schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for the missed dose.
What are the drugs that interact with ZIMIVIR 1000mg Tablet?
Drugs that interact with ZIMIVIR 1000mg Tablet include the following:
This is not a comprehensive list of drug interactions. Consult your doctor to know more about other possible drug interactions.
What are the side effects of ZIMIVIR 1000mg Tablet?
The following are the most common side effects of ZIMIVIR 1000mg Tablet:
The following are the severe side effects and you may require immediate medical attention:
- Joint pain
- Menstrual pain
- Unusual tiredness
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Please consult your doctor to know more about other possible side effects.
What special precautions should be followed while taking ZIMIVIR 1000mg Tablet?
- Avoid using the medicine if you are allergic to ZIMIVIR 1000mg Tablet or similar drugs.
- Avoid consumption of alcohol as it may worsen the side effects of ZIMIVIR 1000mg Tablet medicine.
- Do not drive or operate heavy machinery if ZIMIVIR 1000mg Tablet causes dizziness or blurred vision.
- Seek doctor’s advice before taking any other drug or herbal products while on ZIMIVIR 1000mg Tablet.
- Consult your doctor before taking ZIMIVIR 1000mg Tablet medication during breastfeeding.
You are advised not to take ZIMIVIR 1000mg Tablet if
- it has passed the expiry date of the medicine printed on the pack.
- the foil or packaging is torn or shows signs of tampering or there is discolouration.
What should you tell your doctor before taking ZIMIVIR 1000mg Tablet?
- Tell your doctor if you have any history of kidney disease or if you are on dialysis.
- Inform the doctor if you are taking any other drugs, OTC medications, herbal products or nutritional supplements.
- Tell your doctor if you have HIV infection or other conditions that weakens your immune system.
- Notify the doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
Frequently Asked questions about ZIMIVIR 1000mg Tablet
- How should ZIMIVIR 1000mg Tablet be stored?
- Is it safe to take ZIMIVIR 1000mg Tablet during pregnancy?
- Can I decrease the dose of ZIMIVIR 1000mg Tablet medicine if I feel better?
- Is it safe to receive immunization while taking ZIMIVIR 1000mg Tablet medication?
ZIMIVIR 1000mg Tablet should be stored at room temperature in a dry place, away from excess moisture. Keep the medication away from children.
Use of ZIMIVIR 1000mg Tablet is not recommended during pregnancy. Therefore, consult your doctor regarding the potential risks of ZIMIVIR 1000mg Tablet during pregnancy.
No. It is not advised to change the dose of the medicine without medical supervision. Decreasing or discontinuing the medication suddenly may cause the illness to return.
Avoid receiving vaccination while taking ZIMIVIR 1000mg Tablet without consulting a doctor.
The contents of this website are for informational purposes only and not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Please seek the advice of a physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Do not disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.