What is Valaciclovir used for?
Valaciclovir is used for the treatment of certain types of viral infections, which include the following:
- Cold sores
- Genital herpes
It is also used to treat and prevent cytomegalovirus infection after organ transplants.
Valaciclovir may also be prescribed for other conditions as determined by the doctor.
How does Valaciclovir work?
Valaciclovir belongs to the class of drugs called anti-viral agents. This drug acts by inhibiting the viral DNA replication. This helps in reducing the viral growth and multiplication.
How to take Valaciclovir?
The dosage and the drug form depend on the age, weight and medical condition of an individual. Take Valaciclovir as prescribed by your doctor.
Swallow the tablet whole. Do not crush or chew the tablet. Take the drug with or without food. However, taking the drug with food prevents stomach upset.
If you miss a dose of Valaciclovir, please take it immediately once you remember. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, then skip the missed dose and continue with your regular dosing schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for the missed dose.
What are the drugs that interact with Valaciclovir?
Drugs that interact with Valaciclovir include the following:
This is not a comprehensive list of drug interactions. Consult your doctor to know more about other possible drug interactions.
What are the side effects of Valaciclovir?
The following are the most common side effects of Valaciclovir:
The following are the severe side effects and you may require immediate medical attention:
- Joint pain
- Menstrual pain
- Unusual tiredness
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Please consult your doctor to know more about other possible side effects.
What special precautions should be followed while taking Valaciclovir?
- Avoid using the medicine if you are allergic to Valaciclovir or similar drugs.
- Avoid consumption of alcohol as it may worsen the side effects of Valaciclovir medicine.
- Do not drive or operate heavy machinery if Valaciclovir causes dizziness or blurred vision.
- Seek doctor’s advice before taking any other drug or herbal products while on Valaciclovir.
- Consult your doctor before taking Valaciclovir medication during breastfeeding.
You are advised not to take Valaciclovir if
- it has passed the expiry date of the medicine printed on the pack.
- the foil or packaging is torn or shows signs of tampering or there is discolouration.
What should you tell your doctor before taking Valaciclovir?
- Tell your doctor if you have any history of kidney disease or if you are on dialysis.
- Inform the doctor if you are taking any other drugs, OTC medications, herbal products or nutritional supplements.
- Tell your doctor if you have HIV infection or other conditions that weakens your immune system.
- Notify the doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
Frequently asked questions about Valaciclovir
- How should Valaciclovir be stored?
- Is it safe to take Valaciclovir during pregnancy?
- Can I decrease the dose of Valaciclovir medicine if I feel better?
- Is it safe to receive immunization while taking Valaciclovir medication?
Valaciclovir should be stored at room temperature in a dry place, away from excess moisture. Keep the medication away from children.
Use of Valaciclovir is not recommended during pregnancy. Therefore, consult your doctor regarding the potential risks of Valaciclovir during pregnancy.
No. It is not advised to change the dose of the medicine without medical supervision. Decreasing or discontinuing the medication suddenly may cause the illness to return.
Avoid receiving vaccination while taking Valaciclovir without consulting a doctor.
The contents of this website are for informational purposes only and not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Please seek the advice of a physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Do not disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.