PIVASTA 2MG TABLET 10'S
What is Pitavastatin Calcium used for?
Pitavastatin Calcium is used to reduce elevated total cholesterol, low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol, and triglyceride levels in the blood. It is also used to increase high-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol in the blood. This drug is used for the treatment of primary hyperlipidaemia and mixed dyslipidaemia.
Pitavastatin Calcium should be used in conjunction with diet and other lifestyle changes to reduce the risk of stroke or heart attack.
Pitavastatin Calcium may also be prescribed for other conditions as determined by the doctor.
How does Pitavastatin Calcium work?
Pitavastatin Calcium belongs to the class of drugs called HMG Co-A reductase inhibitors or statins. This drug acts by blocking HMG Co-A reductase enzyme, which is required for the synthesis of cholesterol. Thus, inhibition of HMG Co-A reductase enzyme activity helps in normalising the levels of cholesterol in the blood.
How to take Pitavastatin Calcium?
The dosage and the drug form depend on the age, weight and medical condition of an individual. Take Pitavastatin Calcium as prescribed by your doctor.
Swallow the tablet whole. Do not crush or chew the tablet. Take the tablet with or without food, usually once in a day. If you have to take other cholesterol-lowering medications, you must take Pitavastatin Calcium at least 1 hour before or 4 hours after taking these drugs.
If you miss a dose of Pitavastatin Calcium, please take it immediately once you remember. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, then skip the missed dose and continue with your regular dosing schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for the missed dose.
What are the drugs that interact with Pitavastatin Calcium?
Drugs that interact with Pitavastatin Calcium include the following:
This is not a comprehensive list of drug interactions. Consult your doctor to know more about other possible drug interactions.
What are the side effects of Pitavastatin Calcium?
The following are the most common side effects of Pitavastatin Calcium:
- Back pain
- Muscle pain
- Pain in your arms or legs
The following are the severe side effects and you may require immediate medical attention:
- Impaired kidney function
- Dark-coloured urine
- Pale-coloured or dark, tarry stools
- Bruising easily
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Please consult your doctor to know more about other possible side effects.
What special precautions should be followed while taking Pitavastatin Calcium?
- Avoid using the medicine if you are allergic to Pitavastatin Calcium or similar drugs such as Atorvastatin or Simvastatin.
- Avoid consumption of alcohol while using Pitavastatin Calcium, as it may increase the risk of liver damage.
- Be cautious while using Pitavastatin Calcium if you have a history of uncontrolled hypothyroidism, kidney or liver disease.
- Consult the doctor immediately if you experience any allergic symptoms, such as rash, hives, and itching while using Pitavastatin Calcium.
You are advised not to take Pitavastatin Calcium if
- it has passed the expiry date of the medicine printed on the pack.
- the foil or packaging is torn or shows signs of tampering or there is discolouration.
What should you tell your doctor before taking Pitavastatin Calcium?
- Tell your doctor if you have any history of kidney damage, liver disease, hypothyroidism, clotting disorder, or diabetes.
- Inform the doctor if you are taking any other drugs, OTC medications, herbal products or nutritional supplements.
- Inform the doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
Frequently asked questions about Pitavastatin Calcium
- What is the usual recommended dose of Pitavastatin Calcium?
- Should I follow any special dietary instructions while taking Pitavastatin Calcium?
- What are the symptoms of impaired kidney function that may occur with the use of Pitavastatin Calcium?
- What happens if Pitavastatin Calcium is used along with Gemfibrozil?
- Do I need to be monitored for any laboratory parameters while taking Pitavastatin Calcium?
The usual recommended dosage of Pitavastatin Calcium is 4 mg once daily. Consult your doctor for further information.
You must avoid the intake of foods rich in saturated fat and cholesterol while using Pitavastatin Calcium. The efficacy of Pitavastatin Calcium can be enhanced when used with a healthy diet plan.
The symptoms of impaired kidney function include tiredness, confusion, nausea, shortness of breath, swelling of legs, ankles, or feet, and decreased urination. You must consult your doctor if you experience any of the above symptoms.
Gemfibrozil is a cholesterol-lowering agent. When Gemfibrozil is taken with Pitavastatin Calcium, it may increase the risk of muscle pain or rhabdomyolysis. You must consult the doctor before using any other drug with Pitavastatin Calcium.
You should monitor the blood sugar levels, kidney function, and liver function while taking Pitavastatin Calcium.
The contents of this website are for informational purposes only and not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Please seek the advice of a physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Do not disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.