NEMOCID Suspension 10ml
What is Pyrantel Pamoate used for?
Pyrantel Pamoate is used for the treatment of worm infections caused due to ringworms, pinworms and hookworms in the gut.
Pyrantel Pamoate may also be prescribed for other conditions as determined by the doctor.
How does Pyrantel Pamoate work?
Pyrantel Pamoate belongs to the class of drugs called anthelmintic drugs. The drug is a neuromuscular blocking agent that releases acetylcholine, which causes the paralysis of the worms and eases their elimination from the gut.
How to take Pyrantel Pamoate?
The dosage and the drug form depend on the age, weight and medical condition of an individual. Take Pyrantel Pamoate as prescribed by your doctor.
- Swallow the tablet whole. Do not crush or chew the tablet. Take the drug with or without food. However, taking the drug with food prevents stomach upset.
- Shake the syrup well before using each dose so as to ensure the uniform mixing of the drug.
If you miss a dose of Pyrantel Pamoate, please take it immediately once you remember. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, then skip the missed dose and continue with your regular dosing schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for the missed dose.
The overdose symptoms of Pyrantel Pamoate may include:
- Difficulty in breathing
- Muscle twitching
- Severe muscle spasms
You must seek immediate medical care if you experience any of the above symptoms.
What are the drugs that interact with Pyrantel Pamoate?
Consult the doctor to know the potential drug interactions.
What are the side effects of Pyrantel Pamoate?
The following are the most common side effects of Pyrantel Pamoate:
- Abdominal discomfort
- Loss of appetite
The following are the severe side effects and you may require immediate medical attention:
- Difficulty in breathing
- Severe diarrhoea
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Please consult your doctor to know more about other possible side effects.
What special precautions should be followed while taking Pyrantel Pamoate?
- Avoid using the medicine if you are allergic to Pyrantel Pamoate or similar drugs.
- Consult the doctor before taking any other drug along with Pyrantel Pamoate.
- Use a measuring cup while taking each dose of suspension.
- Do not exceed the dose more than what is prescribed.
You are advised not to use Pyrantel Pamoate if
- it has passed the expiry date of the medicine printed on the pack.
- the foil or packaging is torn or shows signs of tampering or there is discolouration.
What should you tell your doctor before using Pyrantel Pamoate?
- Tell your doctor if you have any history of gastric ulcers, gastrointestinal perforation or constipation.
- Inform the doctor if you are taking any other drugs, OTC medications, herbal products or nutritional supplements.
- Inform the doctor if you have any history of allergic reaction with the usage of Pyrantel Pamoate.
- Notify the doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
Frequently asked questions about Pyrantel Pamoate
- I am on Pyrantel Pamoate. Can I stop the drug if I feel better?
- Is it safe to alter the dose of Pyrantel Pamoate?
Do not alter the dose of Pyrantel Pamoate without consulting the doctor. A change in the dose may turn to be ineffective to treat helminthic infections.4.What is the maximum dose of Pyrantel Pamoate?
The maximum dose of Pyrantel Pamoate is 1 gm/day. Do not exceed the dose unless recommended by the doctor.
Yes, you can stop the use of Pyrantel Pamoate medicine once you feel better. However, it advised to discontinue the medicine only when recommended by the doctor.2.Is it necessary to take a laxative with Pyrantel Pamoate?
No, you can take Pyrantel Pamoate alone for effective elimination of the worms from the gut.
The contents of this website are for informational purposes only and not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Please seek the advice of a physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Do not disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.