What is HONVAN Tablet used for?
HONVAN Tablet is used for the treatment of malignant neoplasms especially prostate cancer. It relieves the symptoms such as difficulty urinating, decreased flow, and painful urination associated with prostate cancer. HONVAN Tablet is also indicated for individuals with the following conditions:
- Breast cancer
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Parathyroid cancer
HONVAN Tablet may also be prescribed for other conditions as determined by the doctor.
How does HONVAN Tablet work?
HONVAN Tablet belongs to the class of drugs called oestrogens. HONVAN Tablet is the inactive form of oestrogen, which is converted to an active form in the body. The drug acts by lowering the blood levels of androgens, and inhibiting the hormone-induced growth of cancer cells. Thus, it relieves the urinary symptoms by shrinking the tumours of the prostate gland.
How to take HONVAN Tablet?
The dosage and the drug form depend on the age, weight and medical condition of an individual. Take HONVAN Tablet as prescribed by your doctor.
Take HONVAN Tablet by mouth, with or without food. Swallow the tablet whole, but do not crush or chew the tablet.
If you miss a dose of HONVAN Tablet, please take it immediately once you remember. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, then skip the missed dose and continue with your regular dosing schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for the missed dose.
What are the drugs that interact with HONVAN Tablet?
HONVAN Tablet is not known to interact with any drug.
What are the side effects of HONVAN Tablet?
The following are the most common side effects of HONVAN Tablet:
- Perineal pain
The following are the severe side effects and you may require immediate medical attention:
- Perineal pruritus
- Breast enlargement (in male)
- Mental disturbances
- Breast tenderness
- Bone pain
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Please consult your doctor to know more about other possible side effects.
What special precautions HONVAN Tablet?
- Avoid using the medicine if you are allergic to HONVAN Tablet or similar drugs.
- Be cautious while using HONVAN Tablet if you have any other medical condition such as heart disease or liver disease.
- Do not exceed the dose more than what is prescribed.
- Avoid HONVAN Tablet during pregnancy or breastfeeding because the safe use of the drug is not yet established.
You are advised not to take HONVAN Tablet if
- it has passed the expiry date of the medicine printed on the pack.
- the foil or packaging is torn or shows signs of tampering or there is discolouration.
What should you tell your doctor before taking HONVAN Tablet?
- Tell your doctor if you have any history of heart disease or liver impairment.
- Inform the doctor if you are taking any herbal products or nutritional supplements.
- Inform the doctor if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant or breastfeeding.
Frequently Asked Questions about HONVAN Tablet
- How should HONVAN Tablet be stored?
- What are the other formulations of HONVAN Tablet available?
- I am on HONVAN Tablet. Can I stop the drug if I feel better?
- What are the overdose symptoms of HONVAN Tablet?
- Do I need to be monitored for any laboratory parameters while taking HONVAN Tablet?
Store HONVAN Tablet at room temperature, away from direct sunlight.
Apart from tablet formulation, HONVAN Tablet is also available as an injectable solution.
Do not stop using the medication abruptly unless instructed by the doctor. Discontinuing the medication abruptly may cause the illness to return.
The overdose symptom of HONVAN Tablet include fluid retention, which causes swelling of feet, ankles, and hands. You must immediately consult a doctor if you experience the above symptoms.
Use of HONVAN Tablet may alter the blood levels of calcium. Therefore, you must check your blood calcium levels on a regular basis.
The contents of this website are for informational purposes only and not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Please seek the advice of a physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Do not disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.