What is GEMFOS 35mg Tablet used for?
GEMFOS 35mg Tablet is used in the treatment of osteoporosis and post-menopausal osteoporosis in women. It is also used to treat a disease that weaken the bones (also known as Paget’s disease).
GEMFOS 35mg Tablet may also be prescribed for other conditions as determined by the doctor.
How does GEMFOS 35mg Tablet work?
GEMFOS 35mg Tablet belongs to the class of drugs called bisphosphates. This drug acts by inhibiting osteoclast-mediated bone resorption and enhances bone metabolism. In post-menopausal women, it acts by reducing the elevated rate of the bone turnover and helps to regain the bone mass. Thus, it helps in the treatment of osteoporosis.
How to take GEMFOS 35mg Tablet?
The dosage and the drug form depend on the age, weight and medical condition of an individual. Take GEMFOS 35mg Tablet as prescribed by your doctor.
Swallow the tablet whole. Do not crush or chew the tablet. Take the tablet with a glass full of water. Do not take the tablet along with food or dairy products.
If you miss a dose of GEMFOS 35mg Tablet, please take it immediately once you remember. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, then skip the missed dose and continue with your regular dosing schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for the missed dose.
What are the drugs that interact with GEMFOS 35mg Tablet?
Drugs that interact with GEMFOS 35mg Tablet include the following:
- Mefenamic acid
This is not a comprehensive list of drug interactions. Consult your doctor to know more about other possible drug interactions.
What are the side effects of GEMFOS 35mg Tablet?
The following are the most common side effects of GEMFOS 35mg Tablet:
- Abdominal pain
- Skin rash
- Bone pain
- Stomach cramps
- Trouble swallowing
- Head ache
- Abdominal cramps
The following are the severe side effects and you may require immediate medical attention:
- Increased bone/muscle pain
- Unusual hip/groin pain
- Jaw pain
- Eye or vision problems
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Please consult your doctor to know more about other possible side effects.
What special precautions should be followed while taking GEMFOS 35mg Tablet?
- Avoid GEMFOS 35mg Tablet medication if you cannot sit upright or stand continuously for 30 minutes.
- Avoid using the medicine if you are having low calcium levels (hypocalcaemia).
- Avoid using the medicine if you are allergic to GEMFOS 35mg Tablet or similar drugs.
- Do not stop using GEMFOS 35mg Tablet medication abruptly unless instructed by the doctor.
- Avoid GEMFOS 35mg Tablet if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Do not exceed the dose more than what is prescribed.
- Do not lie down or rest for 30 minutes after taking the medication.
You are advised not to take GEMFOS 35mg Tablet if
- it has passed the expiry date of the medicine printed on the pack.
- the foil or packaging is torn or shows signs of tampering or there is discolouration.
What should you tell your doctor before taking GEMFOS 35mg Tablet?
- Inform your doctor if you are hypocalcaemia (decreased blood calcium levels) or vitamin D deficiency.
- Tell your doctor if you are allergic to GEMFOS 35mg Tablet or related drugs.
- Tell your doctor if you have any history of kidney or liver diseases.
- Inform your doctor if you are pregnant or breast feeding.
- Inform the doctor if you are taking any other drugs, OTC medications, herbal products or nutritional supplements.
Frequently Asked questions about GEMFOS 35mg Tablet
- Does GEMFOS 35mg Tablet medication interfere with any laboratory tests?
- How should GEMFOS 35mg Tablet be stored?
- Can I consume dairy products while on GEMFOS 35mg Tablet medication?
- Are any lifestyle or dietary changes advised while on GEMFOS 35mg Tablet medication?
- Can I take calcium supplements while taking GEMFOS 35mg Tablet medication?
Yes, GEMFOS 35mg Tablet interferes with bone-imaging tests. Please inform your doctor that you are under GEMFOS 35mg Tablet medication before you undergo any laboratory test.
GEMFOS 35mg Tablet is stored at room temperature (25 – 30OC). Keep the medicine away from direct sunlight.
Yes. However, it is advised to take food or dairy products at least 30 minutes after taking GEMFOS 35mg Tablet medication. It is not advised to take the tablet along with any dairy products.
Yes, lifestyle changes such as exercising, stopping smoking and quitting alcohol are advised to improve the bone health. Eating a well-balanced diet rich in calcium and vitamin-D is advised to improve the efficiency of GEMFOS 35mg Tablet medication.
Yes. However, it is advised to take calcium supplements at least 30 minutes after taking GEMFOS 35mg Tablet medication.
The contents of this website are for informational purposes only and not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Please seek the advice of a physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Do not disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.