CYSTOPEN Capsule 10's
By SUN PHARMACEUTICAL INDUSTRIES LTD Prescription Needed
- Cashback validity: 100 days
What is Pentosan Polysulfate used for?
Pentosan Polysulfate is used for relieving bladder pain and discomfort due to interstitial cystitis.
Pentosan Polysulfate may also be prescribed for other conditions as determined by the doctor.
How does Pentosan Polysulfate work?
Pentosan Polysulfate belongs to the class of drugs called low-molecular-weight heparins. This drug acts by binding to the fibroblast growth factors and heparin-binding growth factors. Thus, it reduces the bladder irritation.
How to take Pentosan Polysulfate?
The dosage and the drug form depend on the age, weight and medical condition of an individual. Take Pentosan Polysulfate as prescribed by your doctor.
Swallow the whole capsule. Do not cut, tear or suck the capsule. Take the drug on an empty stomach with a full glass of water.
If you miss a dose of Pentosan Polysulfate, please take it immediately once you remember. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, then skip the missed dose and continue with your regular dosing schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for the missed dose.
What are the drugs that interact with Pentosan Polysulfate?
Drugs that interact with Pentosan Polysulfate include the following:
This is not a comprehensive list of drug interactions. Consult your doctor to know more about other possible drug interactions.
What are the side effects of Pentosan Polysulfate?
The following are the most common side effects of Pentosan Polysulfate:
- Stomach upset
- Sores in mouth
The following are the severe side effects, and you may require immediate medical attention:
- Bleeding gums
- Trouble in breathing
- Unusual tiredness
- Mood swings
- Irregular heartbeat
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Please consult your doctor to know more about other possible side effects.
What special precautions should be followed while taking Pentosan Polysulfate?
- Avoid taking this medicine if you are allergic to Pentosan Polysulfate or similar drugs.
- Avoid consumption of alcohol as it may alter the absorption of Pentosan Polysulfate.
- Do not drive or operate heavy machinery if Pentosan Polysulfate causes dizziness or blurred vision.
- Avoid Pentosan Polysulfate during pregnancy or breastfeeding because the safe use of the drug is not yet established.
- Avoid injury as you may bleed more easily while on Pentosan Polysulfate therapy.
- Do not stop taking the medication abruptly unless instructed by the doctor. Stopping the medication suddenly may cause the illness to return.
- Do not exceed the dose more than prescribed.
You are advised not to take Pentosan Polysulfate if
- it has passed the expiry date of the medicine printed on the pack.
- the foil or packaging is torn or shows signs of tampering, or there is discolouration.
What should you tell your doctor before taking Pentosan Polysulfate?
- Tell your doctor if you have any history of heart, liver, kidney and respiratory diseases.
- Inform the doctor if you are taking any other drugs, OTC medications, herbal products or nutritional supplements.
- Notify the doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
Frequently asked questions about Pentosan Polysulfate
- Is it safe to use Pentosan Polysulfate in a patient with a history of stomach ulcers?
- Should I follow any special dietary instructions while taking Pentosan Polysulfate?
- What are the contraindications of Pentosan Polysulfate?
- What are the overdose symptoms of Pentosan Polysulfate?
- What is the usual dose of Pentosan Polysulfate for cystitis?
No. Pentosan Polysulfate should not be used in a patient with a history of stomach ulcer, as it may increase the risk of bleeding.
Follow a regular diet while taking Pentosan Polysulfate, unless any dietary instruction provided by the doctor.
Pentosan Polysulfate is contraindicated in haemophilia, thrombocytopenia, and diverticulitis.
The overdose symptoms of Pentosan Polysulfate may include passing out, trouble in breathing, and unusual bleeding. You must seek immediate medical care if you experience any of the above symptoms.
The usual recommended dose of Pentosan Polysulfate for cystitis is 100 mg thrice daily.
The contents of this website are for informational purposes only and not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Please seek the advice of a physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Do not disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.