ADMENTA 10mg Tablet 10's
|Available substitute||3 substitute/s available|
Rs.132.00 (14% Savings)
Rs.140.00 (9% Savings)
Please note, before you can choose the low cost generic option, please ask your doctor to add the generic drug to your prescription.
What is Memantine used for?
Memantine is used for the treatment of dementia and Alzheimer’s disease. It improves memory, awareness, and ability to perform daily functions in patients with Alzheimer’s disease.
Memantine may also be prescribed for other conditions as determined by the doctor.
How does Memantine work?
Memantine belongs to the class of drugs called N-methyl-D-aspartate receptor antagonists. The drug acts by blocking the action of glutamate and reduces abnormal activity in the brain.
How to take Memantine?
The dosage and the drug form depend on the age, weight and medical condition of an individual. Take Memantine as prescribed by your doctor.
Swallow the tablet whole. Do not crush or chew the tablet. Take the drug with or without food. However, taking the drug with food prevents stomach upset.
If you miss a dose of Memantine, please take it immediately once you remember. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, then skip the missed dose and continue with your regular dosing schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for the missed dose.
The overdose symptoms of Memantine may include:
- Trouble breathing
- Passing out
What are the drugs that interact with Memantine?
Drugs that interact with Memantine include the following:
- Sodium bicarbonate
This is not a comprehensive list of drug interactions. Consult your doctor to know more about other possible drug interactions.
What are the side effects of Memantine?
The following are the most common side effects of Memantine:
- Body aches
The following are the severe side effects, and you may require immediate medical attention:
- Swelling of face, throat or tongue
- Severe dizziness
- Irregular heartbeat
- Unusual weight gain or loss
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Please consult your doctor to know more about other possible side effects.
What special precautions should be followed while taking Memantine?
- Avoid using the medicine if you are allergic to Memantine or similar drugs.
- Do not exceed the dose more than prescribed.
- Be cautious while taking Memantine if you have any kidney or liver impairment.
- Keep the medication out of reach of children.
- Avoid consumption of alcohol as it may alter the absorption of Memantine.
- Do not drive or operate heavy machinery if Memantine causes dizziness or blurred vision.
You are advised not to take Memantine if
- it has passed the expiry date of the medicine printed on the pack.
- the foil or packaging is torn or shows signs of tampering or there is discolouration.
What should you tell your doctor before taking Memantine?
- Tell your doctor if you have any history of heart, liver and kidney diseases.
- Inform the doctor if you are taking any other drugs, OTC medications, herbal products or nutritional supplements.
- Inform your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
Frequently asked questions about Memantine
- What is the recommended initial dose of Memantine?
- Should I follow any special dietary instructions while taking Memantine?
- What are the other formulations of Memantine available?
- I am on Memantine for dementia. Can I stop the drug if I feel better?
- Is it safe to alter the dose of Memantine?
The recommended initial dose of Memantine is 5 mg once daily. Please consult your doctor for dosage-related queries.
Use of Memantine may cause constipation. Therefore, you must take fiber-rich foods while on Memantine.
Apart from tablet form, Memantine is also available in as oral solution and capsule.
No. Do not stop using Memantine abruptly unless instructed by the doctor. Discontinuing the medication suddenly may cause the illness to return.
No. It is not safe to change the dose of Memantine unless suggested by the doctor.
The contents of this website are for informational purposes only and not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Please seek the advice of a physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Do not disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.