PIOGLIT 15mg Tablet 10's
Rs.17.27 (64% Savings)
Rs.17.67 (63% Savings)
Rs.18.00 (63% Savings)
Rs.18.00 (63% Savings)
Rs.19.00 (61% Savings)
Please note, before you can choose the low cost generic option, please ask your doctor to add the generic drug to your prescription.
What is Pioglitazone used for?
Pioglitazone is used for the treatment of type 2 diabetes, particularly in those patients who are inadequately controlled with Metformin.
Pioglitazone may also be prescribed for other conditions as determined by the doctor.
How does Pioglitazone work?
Pioglitazone belongs to the class of drugs called thiazolidinediones. This drug works by increasing the sensitivity of liver, fat and muscle cells to insulin. This lowers the glucose levels in the blood. Pioglitazone also works by reducing glucose production by the liver.
How to take Pioglitazone?
The dosage and the drug form depend on the age, weight and medical condition of an individual. Take Pioglitazone as prescribed by your doctor.
Swallow the tablet whole. Do not crush or chew the tablet. Take the drug with or without food. However, taking the drug with food prevents stomach upset.
If you miss a dose of Pioglitazone, please take it immediately once you remember. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, then skip the missed dose and continue with your regular dosing schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for the missed dose.
What are the drugs that interact with Pioglitazone?
Drugs that interact with Pioglitazone include the following:
This is not a comprehensive list of drug interactions. Consult your doctor to know more about other possible drug interactions.
What are the side effects of Pioglitazone?
The following are the most common side effects of Pioglitazone:
- Weight gain
- Tooth problems
- Irregular breathing
- Muscle pain
- Sore throat
The following are the severe side effects and you may require immediate medical attention:
- Changes in vision
- Decreased urine output
- Tightness in chest
- Swelling of face/fingers/feet
- Extreme fatigue
- Increased urination
- Discoloured, red or cloudy urine
- Stomach or back pain
- Persistent vomiting
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Please consult your doctor to know more about other possible side effects.
What special precautions Pioglitazone ?
- Avoid using the medicine if you are allergic to Pioglitazone or similar drugs.
- Do not drive if you experience dizziness after using Pioglitazone medication.
- Consult your doctor before using Pioglitazone medication during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
- Avoid alcoholic beverages as it may alter the absorption of Pioglitazone medicine.
- Seek doctor’s advice before taking any other drug or herbal products while on Pioglitazone medication.
You are advised not to take Pioglitazone if
- it has passed the expiry date of the medicine printed on the pack.
- the foil or packaging is torn or shows signs of tampering or there is discolouration.
What should you tell your doctor before taking Pioglitazone?
- Inform the doctor if you are taking any other drugs, OTC medications, herbal products or nutritional supplements.
- Tell your doctor if you are allergic to any drugs.
- Inform your doctor if there is any history of liver disease, oedema or eye problems.
Frequently asked questions about Pioglitazone
- Can Pioglitazone be used to treat type 1 diabetes?
- Is it safe to use Pioglitazone if I have a history of heart disease?
- Should I follow any dietary instructions while on Pioglitazone medication?
- Can I use birth control pills while taking Pioglitazone?
No. Pioglitazone medication is prescribed only for the treatment of type 2 diabetes. Consult your doctor before using any drug.
Pioglitazone may worsen the existing heart problems. Therefore, consult your doctor about the safe use of Pioglitazone medication while suffering from heart diseases.
Yes, proper diabetic diet and regular exercise are advised while on Pioglitazone medication.
Consult your doctor before using birth control pills while taking Pioglitazone medication, as the drug may cause changes in the menstrual cycle.
The contents of this website are for informational purposes only and not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Please seek the advice of a physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Do not disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.