MODAFIL MD 200MG TABLET 10'S
What is Modafinil used for?
Modafinil is used for the treatment of following sleep disorders:
- Obstructive sleep apnea
- Shift-work sleep disorder
Modafinil may also be prescribed for other conditions as determined by the doctor.
How does Modafinil work?
Modafinil belongs to the class of drugs called central nervous system stimulants. The drug acts by activating glutamatergic circuits by obstructing the action of neurotransmitters. However, the exact mechanism of Modafinil remains unknown.
How to take Modafinil?
The dosage and the drug form depend on the age, weight and medical condition of an individual. Take Modafinil as prescribed by your doctor.
- Swallow the tablet whole. Do not crush or chew the tablet.
- Take the drug with or without food. However, taking the drug with food prevents stomach upset.
If you miss a dose of Modafinil, please take it immediately once you remember. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, then skip the missed dose and continue with your regular dosing schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for the missed dose.
The overdose symptoms of Modafinil may include:
- Trouble breathing
- Irregular heartbeat
- Severe restlessness
What are the drugs that interact with Modafinil?
Drugs that interact with Modafinil include the following:
This is not a comprehensive list of drug interactions. Consult your doctor to know more about other possible drug interactions.
What are the side effects of Modafinil?
The following are the most common side effects of Modafinil:
- Trouble in urinating
- Increased thirst
- Changes in vision
- Shortness of breath
- Unusual tiredness
The following are the severe side effects and you may require immediate medical attention:
- Increased urination
- Mental depression
- Swollen lymph nodes
- Mood changes
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Please consult your doctor to know more about other possible side effects.
What special precautions should be followed while taking Modafinil?
- Avoid using the medicine if you are allergic to Modafinil or similar drugs.
- Do not drive or operate heavy machinery if Modafinil medicine causes severe drowsiness or blurred vision.
- Avoid consumption of alcohol as it may alter the absorption of Modafinil medication.
- Do not stop using the medication abruptly unless instructed by the doctor. Stopping the medication suddenly may cause the illness to return.
- Limit the use of caffeine-containing products while on Modafinil medication.
- Consult your doctor before taking Modafinil medication during breastfeeding.
- Keep the medication away from the reach of children.
You are advised not to take Modafinil if
- it has passed the expiry date of the medicine printed on the pack.
- the foil or packaging is torn or shows signs of tampering or there is discolouration.
What should you tell your doctor before taking Modafinil?
- Tell your doctor if you have any history of heart problems.
- Inform the doctor if you are taking any other drugs, OTC medications, herbal products or nutritional supplements.
- Inform your doctor before taking Modafinil medication prior to a scheduled surgery.
Frequently asked questions about Modafinil
- Is it safe to alter the dose of Modafinil?
- Can I take Modafinil in case of insomnia?
- What are the overdose symptoms of Modafinil?
- Do I need to undergo any tests before taking Modafinil?
No. Altering the dose of Modafinil is not advisable as it may result in loss of consciousness and severe agitation and can increase the risk of side effects.
No, Modafinil should be taken only when prescribed. Don’t self-medicate.
The overdose symptoms of Modafinil may include excitement, increased heartbeat, increased blood pressure and trouble sleeping.
Yes, Modafinil interferes with the heart activity. Therefore, it is advised to periodically monitor the heart function while on Modafinil medication.
The contents of this website are for informational purposes only and not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Please seek the advice of a physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Do not disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.