What is LESCOL XL 80mg Tablet used for?
LESCOL XL 80mg Tablet is an antilipemic agent, which is used for the treatment of high cholesterol and triglyceride levels. Thus, a decrease in the cholesterol level lowers the risk of stroke and heart attack. It also reduces the need for surgery in patients with a history of heart disease. LESCOL XL 80mg Tablet is also used to treat the following conditions
- Coronary heart disease
- Hypercholesteraemia (high blood cholesterol levels)
- Myocardial infarction
LESCOL XL 80mg Tablet may also be prescribed for other conditions as determined by the doctor.
How does LESCOL XL 80mg Tablet work?
LESCOL XL 80mg Tablet belongs to the class of drugs called statins. The drug acts by inhibiting an enzyme (HMG-Co A reductase) in the liver, which plays a major role in the production of cholesterol. Thus, inhibiting the action of an enzyme lowers high blood cholesterol levels and reduces the risk of heart diseases.
How to take LESCOL XL 80mg Tablet?
The dosage and the drug form depend on the age, weight and medical condition of an individual. Take LESCOL XL 80mg Tablet as prescribed by your doctor.
Swallow the tablet whole, but do not crush or chew the tablet. Take LESCOL XL 80mg Tablet tablet with or without food.
Take the LESCOL XL 80mg Tablet tablet at any time during the day. However, it is effective when you take the drug at the same time each day.
If you miss a dose of LESCOL XL 80mg Tablet, take it immediately once you remember. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, then skip the missed dose and continue with your regular dosing schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for the missed dose.
What are the drugs that interact with LESCOL XL 80mg Tablet?
Drugs that interact with LESCOL XL 80mg Tablet include the following:
This is not a comprehensive list of drug interactions. Consult your doctor to know more about other possible drug interactions.
What are the side effects of LESCOL XL 80mg Tablet?
The following are the most common side effects of LESCOL XL 80mg Tablet:
- Stomach pain
- Stomach upset
The following are the severe side effects and you may require immediate medical attention:
- Difficulty breathing or swallowing
- Unexplained muscle weakness
- Chest pain
- Persistent sore throat
- Painful urination
- Loss of appetite
- Unusual bruising or bleeding
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Please consult your doctor to know more about other possible side effects.
What special precautions LESCOL XL 80mg Tablet?
- Avoid using the medicine if you are allergic to LESCOL XL 80mg Tablet or similar drugs.
- Seek doctor’s advice before taking any other drug or herbal products while on LESCOL XL 80mg Tablet.
- Avoid consumption of alcohol as it may increase the dizziness caused by LESCOL XL 80mg Tablet.
- Follow the diet and exercise program that is recommended by your doctor for effective outcomes.
- Do not drive or operate heavy machinery if the drug causes dizziness or blurred vision.
- Be cautious while taking LESCOL XL 80mg Tablet if you have any kidney or liver impairment.
- Monitor your blood glucose levels as LESCOL XL 80mg Tablet extended-release tablets may affect blood sugar.
- Avoid LESCOL XL 80mg Tablet during pregnancy as it may harm the foetus, and also avoid LESCOL XL 80mg Tablet during breastfeed
You are advised not to take LESCOL XL 80mg Tablet if
- it has passed the expiry date of the medicine printed on the pack.
- the foil or packaging is torn or shows signs of tampering or there is discolouration.
What should you tell your doctor before taking LESCOL XL 80mg Tablet?
- Tell your doctor if you have any history of liver disease, muscle aches, thyroid or kidney diseases, low blood pressure or seizures.
- Inform the doctor if you are taking any other drugs, OTC medications, herbal products or nutritional supplement
Frequently Asked Questions about LESCOL XL 80mg Tablet:
- How should LESCOL XL 80mg Tablet be stored?
- Can I stop taking LESCOL XL 80mg Tablet without doctor’s notice?
- Do I need to be monitored for any laboratory parameters while taking LESCOL XL 80mg Tablet?
- Is it safe to use LESCOL XL 80mg Tablet in elderly?
- What are the special dietary instructions that should be followed while taking LESCOL XL 80mg Tablet?
Store the drug at room temperature (20 – 25OC) and avoid exposure to sunlight and moisture.
No. It is important to complete the prescribed dose of LESCOL XL 80mg Tablet unless you are told to stop. If you stop taking the drug abruptly, there may be an increase in the blood cholesterol levels.
LESCOL XL 80mg Tablet may cause liver toxicity. Therefore, monitoring the liver function is important while on LESCOL XL 80mg Tablet therapy.
LESCOL XL 80mg Tablet should be used with caution in elderly. Consult your doctor before using the drug.
You must consume foods that are low in fat and carbohydrates while using LESCOL XL 80mg Tablet drug.
The contents of this website are for informational purposes only and not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Please seek the advice of a physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Do not disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.