ISTAVEL 50mg Tablet 7's
What is Sitagliptin Phosphate used for?
Sitagliptin Phosphate is used for the treatment of type-2 diabetes mellitus. This drug should be used in conjunction with proper diet and regular exercise for effective glycaemic control.
Sitagliptin Phosphate may also be prescribed for other conditions as determined by the doctor.
How does Sitagliptin Phosphate work?
Sitagliptin Phosphate belongs to the class of drugs called oral hypoglycaemic agents. This drug acts by increasing the activity of the incretin in the body. This increases the insulin production and decreases the glucagon release in the body.
How to take Sitagliptin Phosphate?
The dosage and the drug form depend on the age, weight and medical condition of an individual. Take Sitagliptin Phosphate as prescribed by your doctor.
Swallow the tablet whole. Do not crush or chew the tablet. Take the drug 30 minutes before meals.
If you miss a dose of Sitagliptin Phosphate, please take it immediately once you remember. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, then skip the missed dose and continue with your regular dosing schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for the missed dose.
The overdose symptoms of Sitagliptin Phosphate include the following:
- Abdominal pain
- Blurry vision
- Difficulty speaking
- Increased sweating
- Unusual weakness
You must seek immediate medical care if you experience any of the above symptoms.
What are the drugs that interact with Sitagliptin Phosphate?
Drugs that interact with Sitagliptin Phosphate include the following:
This is not a comprehensive list of drug interactions. Consult your doctor to know more about other possible drug interactions.
What are the side effects of Sitagliptin Phosphate?
The following are the most common side effects of Sitagliptin Phosphate:
- Back pain
- Gastrointestinal disturbances
- Increased heart rate
- Increased hunger
- Increased sweating
- Increased thirst
- Joint pain
- Peripheral oedema
- Upper respiratory tract infections
The following are the severe side effects and you may require immediate medical attention:
- Acute pancreatitis
- Blurry vision
- Hypersensitivity reactions
- Pale and dry skin
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Please consult your doctor to know more about other possible side effects.
What special precautions should be followed while taking Sitagliptin Phosphate?
- Avoid using the medicine if you are allergic to Sitagliptin Phosphate or similar drugs.
- Avoid consumption of alcohol as it may alter the absorption of Sitagliptin Phosphate.
- Be cautious while taking Sitagliptin Phosphate if you have any kidney or liver impairment.
- Do not exceed the dose more than what is prescribed.
You are advised not to take Sitagliptin Phosphate if
- it has passed the expiry date of the medicine printed on the pack.
- The foil or packaging is torn or shows signs of tampering or there is discolouration.
What should you tell your doctor before taking Sitagliptin Phosphate?
- Tell your doctor if you have any history of hypertension, hepatic and renal disorders.
- Inform the doctor if you are taking any other drugs, OTC medications, herbal products or nutritional supplements.
- Notify the doctor if you have any history of allergic reaction with the usage of Sitagliptin Phosphate.
- If you have to undergo any surgery or medical procedure, you must inform the doctor about the usage of Sitagliptin Phosphate.
- Notify the doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
Frequently asked questions about Sitagliptin Phosphate
- Should I follow any special dietary instructions while taking Sitagliptin Phosphate?
- Is it safe to alter the dose of Sitagliptin Phosphate?
- Do I need to be monitored for any laboratory parameters while taking Sitagliptin Phosphate?
- Can I use Sitagliptin Phosphate tablet to treat type 1 diabetes?
Avoid consumption of alcohol while taking Sitagliptin Phosphate tablet, as it may worsen the side effects of the drug.
Do not change the dose of Sitagliptin Phosphate tablet without consulting the doctor. Altering the dose of the drug may increase the risk of side effects.
A regular monitoring of your blood sugar levels is advised while using Sitagliptin Phosphate tablet.
Sitagliptin Phosphate tablet is not prescribed for patients who have type 1 diabetes. Please consult your doctor.
The contents of this website are for informational purposes only and not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Please seek the opinion of a physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Do not disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.