FLECARITE 50mg Tablet 10's
What is Flecainide used for?
Flecainide tablet is used for the treatment of life-threatening conditions, such as irregular heartbeats.
Flecainide may also be prescribed for other conditions as determined by the doctor.
How does Flecainide work?
Flecainide belongs to the class of drugs called anti-arrhythmic drugs. The drug acts by binding to the voltage-gated sodium channels, which reduces the propagation of electric signals in the heart. Thus, it stabilizes the heart rhythm by inhibiting the ionic flow that is essential for the conduction of impulses.
How to take Flecainide?
The dosage and the drug form depend on the age, weight and medical condition of an individual. Take Flecainide tablet as prescribed by your doctor.
- Swallow the tablet Do not crush or chew the tablet.
- Take the drug with or without food. However, taking the drug with food prevents stomach upset.
If you miss a dose of Flecainide, please take it as soon as you remember. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, then skip the missed dose and continue with your regular dosing schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for the missed dose.
The overdose symptoms of Flecainide include the following:
- Decreased heartbeat
- Loss of consciousness
Please seek immediate medical attention if you experience any of the above symptoms.
What are the drugs that interact with Flecainide?
Drugs that interact with Flecainide include the following:
This is not a comprehensive list of drug interactions. Consult your doctor to know more about other possible drug interactions.
What are the side effects of Flecainide?
The following are the most common side effects of Flecainide:
- Stomach pain
- Blurred vision
- Shortness of breath
The following are the severe side effects and you may require immediate medical attention:
- Irregular heartbeat
- Severe dizziness
- Shortness of breath
- Chest pain
- Yellowing of the skin
- Coughing up blood
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Please consult your doctor to know more about other possible side effects.
What special precautions should be followed while taking Flecainide?
- Avoid taking the medicine if you are allergic to Flecainide or similar drugs.
- Do not drive or operate heavy machinery if Flecainide causes dizziness or blurred vision.
- Avoid consumption of alcohol as it may alter the absorption of Flecainide.
- Seek doctor’s advice before taking any other drug or herbal products while on
- Consult your doctor before taking Flecainide medication during breastfeeding.
- Keep the medication out of reach of children.
You are advised not to take Flecainide if
- it has passed the expiry date of the medicine printed on the pack.
- the foil or packaging is torn or shows signs of tampering or there is discolouration.
What should you tell your doctor before taking Flecainide?
- Tell your doctor if you have any history of heart blockage in your upper chambers, congestive heart failure, kidney or liver disease.
- Inform the doctor if you are taking any other drugs, OTC medications, herbal products or nutritional supplements.
- Tell the doctor if you have undergone any surgical procedure.
- Inform your doctor if you have low potassium or magnesium levels in your blood.
Frequently Asked Questions about Flecainide
- Is it safe to take Flecainide medicine if I have a pacemaker?
- Is it safe to take Flecainide medicine if I have a history of a heart attack during past one year?
- Can Flecainide medication be used in geriatric patients?
- Is it safe to take Flecainide medicine during pregnancy?
- Is it safe to take Flecainide medication while on Verapamil medication?
Inform your doctor that you have a pacemaker before taking Flecainide medicine.
No. It is not advisable to take Flecainide medication if you had a history of heart attack within the past two years. However, please notify your doctor about your medical history.
Be cautious while using Flecainide medication in older adults as they are more sensitive to the risk of side effects.
Consult your doctor to discuss the potential risks and benefits of Flecainide medication during pregnancy.
It is not advisable to take Flecainide while on Verapamil medication as it can slow down the heart rate.
The contents of this website are for informational purposes only and not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Please seek the advice of a physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Do not disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.