- Lab Tests
- Health Corner
CEFASYN 500MG TABLET contains Cefuroxime which belongs to the group of medicines called Antibiotics. It is used to treat serious bacterial infections such as middle ear infections (media otitis), throat infections (pharyngitis and tonsilitis), sinus (acute sinusitis), chest and lung infections (bronchitis and pneumonia), urinary tract infections, and serious skin infections (Ex. furuncles). CEFASYN 500MG TABLET is also used to treat Lyme disease (an infection caused by the parasite called ticks).
Patients with a history of cephalosporin-associated haemolytic anaemia are not recommended to take CEFASYN 500MG TABLET. Prolonged treatment with CEFASYN 500MG TABLET can alter digestive flora, this could cause Clostridium difficile-associated diarrhoea.
Inform your doctor if you are giving blood samples for screening, before taking CEFASYN 500MG TABLET, as it could cause a change in the results. Your doctor will prescribe the right dose depends on your child’s age, body weight and disease condition.
Before taking CEFASYN 500MG TABLET inform your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding women. The most common side effects of taking this medicine are headache, dizziness, diarrhoea and feeling sick. Consult your doctor immediately if any of the above symptoms worsen.
Used to treat:
CEFASYN 500MG TABLET contains cefuroxime which is a second-generation cephalosporin that interferes with the synthesis of the bacterial cell wall by binding to specific binding proteins located inside the bacterial cell wall. This leads to breaking down the cell wall of the bacteria and reducing its stability, thus causing cell damage, and eventually causing bacterial elimination.
Take CEFASYN 500MG TABLET as advised by your physician. Your doctor will decide the correct dose and duration for you depending upon your age, body weight and severity of infection.
Stop taking CEFASYN 500MG TABLET and consult your doctor immediately if you experience any of the following side effects
Keep yourself hydrated by drinking lots of fluids, such as water or fruit juices. Avoid taking any medicine on your own for treating diarrhoea. Consult your doctor if diarrhoea is persistent.
Rest and relax. Drink plenty of fluids and apply a pain-relieving medicine/balm on the head if needed. Do not consume too much alcohol. Contact your doctor if you experience headache for long.
Try to rest and relax. Get enough sleep. Try avoiding driving a car or bicycle or operating any tools or machines while you are feeling dizzy. Do not consume too much of alcohol, as it can aggravate your dizziness. Consult your doctor if the dizziness is prolonged for a long time.
Try to rest and relax. Consume food which are non-greasy and oily or try to have smaller and frequent meals. Keep a heating pad on your stomach. If the symptom does not improve with time. Contact your doctor immediately.
There are no adequate and well-controlled studies in pregnant women and should be used during pregnancy only if clearly needed. Hence consult your doctor before taking CEFASYN 500MG TABLET.
CEFASYN 500MG TABLET is generally not recommended for breastfeeding mothers, as it may pass through the breast milk to the baby. Consult your doctor before taking this medicine.
Do not drive or operate any machines if you feel dizzy after taking CEFASYN 500MG TABLET.
CEFASYN 500MG TABLET should be used with caution in patients with history of kidney problems and if needed dosage will be adjusted accordingly. Consult your doctor before taking the medicine.
Do not take CEFASYN 500MG TABLET if you are allergic (hypersensitive) to Cefuroxime, cephalosporin, penicillin, monobactams, carbapenems or to any other ingredients of this medicine.
CEFASYN 500MG TABLET is not recommended for use if you:
Before taking CEFASYN 500MG TABLET, inform your doctor if you are:
Use in pediatrics:
Your doctor will prescribe the right dose depends on your child’s age, body weight and disease condition. Consult your doctor before taking the medicine.
Use in geriatrics:
CEFASYN 500MG TABLET should be used with caution in elderly especially patients with renal impairment. Consult your doctor before taking the medicine.
A. Drug-Drug interactions:
Before taking CEFASYN 500MG TABLET, inform your doctor if you are taking any of the following medicine:
If you or anyone else accidentally took too much of this medicine, consult your doctor immediately. Symptoms are neurological disorders such as seizures (fits).
|Pharmacological Category||:|| |
|Therapeutic Indication||:|| |
Treats Bacterial infections
|Dosage Forms||:|| |
Tablet, Injection, Capsule, Syrup, Dry Suspension, Drops, Dispersible tablet
What is CEFASYN 500MG TABLET used for?
CEFASYN 500MG TABLET contains cefuroxime, which is used to treat lower, upper respiratory tract infection, urinary tract infection, gynaecological infection, skin or soft tissue infection.
Is CEFASYN 500MG TABLET same as penicillin?
No, CEFASYN 500MG TABLET belongs to the second-generation class of cephalosporins, it is active against numerous gram-positive and gram-negative bacteria, including several with resistance to other antibiotics such as penicillin. Consult your doctor before taking CEFASYN 500MG TABLET.
If I start feeling well, can I skip the dose of CEFASYN 500MG TABLET?
No. You should complete the full course of CEFASYN 500MG TABLET as prescribed by your doctor. It is important that CEFASYN 500MG TABLET be taken at the right dose and for the right duration given. Otherwise, the symptoms can prevail and sometimes worsen. Consult your doctor before taking the medicine.
What will happen if I accidentally take overdosage of CEFASYN 500MG TABLET?
If you have accidentally overdosed on CEFASYN 500MG TABLET, you may suffer from a neurologic disorder, such as seizures (fits). Consult a doctor immediately and go to the nearby hospital.
Will CEFASYN 500MG TABLET affect the contraceptive pill that is taken?
Yes. CEFASYN 500MG TABLET may interact with birth control pills and lowers its efficiency. So, you should tell your doctor if you are using any birth control pills. Your doctor could suggest an alternative contraceptive barrier to prevent unwanted pregnancies.
In what condition CEFASYN 500MG TABLET should be avoided?
CEFASYN 500MG TABLET should not be taken if you have a history of serious anaphylactic reaction to cefuroxime or any other cephalosporin antibiotics or if you have a history of cephalosporin-induced haemolytic anaemia. Consult your doctor before taking CEFASYN 500MG TABLET.
1. KD Tripathi. Second-generation cephalosporins. Essentials of Medical Pharmacology. Eighth edition. Page - 777.
2. Cefuroxime. PubChem. National Centre for Biotechnology Information. [Accessed on 7th September 2022] https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/Cephuroxime#section=2D-Structure
3. Brogden, R.N., Heel, R.C., Speight, T.M. et al. Cefuroxime: A Review of its Antibacterial Activity, Pharmacological Properties and Therapeutic Use. Drugs. [Revised in November 2012] [Accessed on 7th September 2022] https://link.springer.com/article/10.2165/00003495-197917040-00001#citeas
4. Glaxo Operations UK Ltd. Electronic Medicines Compendium (EMC). [Revised in November 2019] [Accessed on 7th September 2022] https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/files/pil.3810.pdf
5. Sandoz Limited. Electronic Medicines Compendium (EMC) [Revised in December 2020] [Accessed on 7th September 2022] https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/product/426/smpc#gref
6. TEVA UK Ltd. Health Products Regulatory Authority. [Revised in June 2013] [Accessed on 7th September 2022] http://www.hpra.ie/img/uploaded/swedocuments/2126276.PA0749_082_002.8f76380d-ac29-402f-b6d0-af2d021bdf05.000001PIL.130628.pdf
7. Auro Pharma Inc. [Revised in January 2021] [Accessed on 7th September 2022] http://www.auropharma.ca/products/monograph/Auro-Cefuroxime-PM.pd
8. Ranbaxy Pharmaceuticals Inc. [Revised in October 2008] [Accessed on 7th September 2022] https://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/drugInfo.cfm?setid=5b6288fa-49da-4f44-b779-86e8404921db
9. Blenheim Pharmacal, Inc. [Revised in June 2010] [Accessed on 7th September 2022] https://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/drugInfo.cfm?setid=16a686e6-63f4-478f-a673-02dde9474eda
10. GlaxoSmithKline. [Revised in January 2007] [Accessed on 7th September 2022] https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2007/050605s042lbl.pdf
The contents of this website are for informational purposes only and not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Please seek the advice of a physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Do not disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.