What is ANDROGEL 1% Gel used for?
ANDROGEL 1% Gel is used for the treatment of delayed puberty, impotence and other hormonal disturbances in males.
ANDROGEL 1% Gel may also be prescribed for other conditions as determined by the doctor.
How does ANDROGEL 1% Gel work?
ANDROGEL 1% Gel belongs to the class of drugs called as the androgens. This drug acts by activation of the certain receptors and mimics the actions of testosterone. Thus, it helps in enhancing puberty.
How to use ANDROGEL 1% Gel?
The dosage and the drug form depend on the age, weight and medical condition of an individual.
- Swallow the capsule whole. Do not crush or chew the capsule. Take the drug with or without food. However, taking the drug with food prevents stomach upset.
- ANDROGEL 1% Gel is also available as an injection. Therefore, it should be administered only under medical supervision.
If you miss a dose of ANDROGEL 1% Gel, please consult the doctor.
What are the drugs that interact with ANDROGEL 1% Gel?
Drugs that interact with ANDROGEL 1% Gel include the following:
- Insulin Lispro
This is not a comprehensive list of drug interactions. Consult your doctor to know more about other possible drug interactions.
What are the side effects of ANDROGEL 1% Gel?
The following are the most common side effects of ANDROGEL 1% Gel:
- Bleeding gums
- Mouth ulcer
The following are the severe side effects, and you may require immediate medical attention:
- Blurred vision
- Temporary blindness
- Trouble breathing
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Please consult your doctor to know more about other possible side effects.
What special precautions should be followed while using ANDROGEL 1% Gel?
- Avoid using the medicine if you are allergic to ANDROGEL 1% Gel or similar drugs.
- Consult the doctor before taking any other drug along with ANDROGEL 1% Gel.
- Do not stop using the medication abruptly unless instructed by the doctor. Stopping the medication suddenly may cause the illness to return.
- Do not exceed the dose more than what is prescribed.
- Avoid using ANDROGEL 1% Gel if you have prostate or male breast cancer.
You are advised not to use ANDROGEL 1% Gel if
- it has passed the expiry date of the medicine printed on the pack.
- the foil or packaging is torn or shows signs of tampering or there is discolouration.
What should you tell your doctor before using ANDROGEL 1% Gel?
- Tell your doctor if you have any history of prostate cancer, male breast cancer, serious heart, liver or kidney diseases.
- Inform the doctor if you are taking any other drugs, OTC medications, herbal products or nutritional supplements.
Frequently Asked questions about ANDROGEL 1% Gel
- What are the available formulations of ANDROGEL 1% Gel?
- What are the contraindications of ANDROGEL 1% Gel?
- Should I be monitored for any laboratory parameters while using ANDROGEL 1% Gel?
ANDROGEL 1% Gel is available as a transdermal solution, intramuscular solution, transdermal gel, compounding powder, buccal film, subcutaneous implant, nasal gel, transdermal ointment and transdermal cream.
ANDROGEL 1% Gel is contraindicated in patients with prostate cancer, male breast cancer, serious heart condition, liver diseases and kidney diseases.
Yes, it is advised to monitor for blood pressure and bone density parameters while using ANDROGEL 1% Gel.
The contents of this website are for informational purposes only and not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Please seek the advice of a physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Do not disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.