|Available substitute||5 substitute/s available|
Rs.9.40 (61% Savings)
Rs.20.12 (18% Savings)
Please note, before you can choose the low cost generic option, please ask your doctor to add the generic drug to your prescription.
What is Amlodipine Besylate used for?
Amlodipine Besylate is used to treat the following conditions:
- Hypertension (high blood pressure);
- Angina (chest pain and other conditions caused by coronary artery disease (damage or disease of major heart vessels).
It is used in combination with other antibiotics.
Amlodipine Besylate may also be prescribed for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
How does Amlodipine Besylate work?
Amlodipine Besylate belongs to a group of medicines known as calcium channel blockers. Amlodipine Besylate prevents the calcium from moving into the blood vessel wall thereby preventing tightening of blood vessel walls. This reduces the blood pressure and improves symptoms of chest pain.
How to take Amlodipine Besylate ?
- The dosage of oral tablet of Amlodipine Besylate depends on the age, weight and medical condition of an individual. Take Amlodipine Besylate as prescribed by your doctor.
- Amlodipine Besylate is started with one per day, later the dose can change depending on the condition of the patient.
- Amlodipine Besylate should be taken with or without food. Take the medicine at the same time of the day.
- Amlodipine Besylate is not advised to be taken by children below 6 years of age.
- Do not discontinue the antibiotic without consulting a doctor.
- If you miss a dose of Amlodipine Besylate, please take it immediately once you remember. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, then skip the missed dose and continue with your regular dosing schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for the missed dose.
What should you do when you have taken an overdose of Amlodipine Besylate?
If you have taken an overdose of Amlodipine Besylate, please contact your doctor immediately.
Symptoms of overdose may include the following:
- Stomach pain
- Hot flushes
What are the drugs that interact with Amlodipine Besylate?
Drugs that interact with Amlodipine Besylate:
- Calcium / vitamin D
- Metoprolol Succinate ER
- Metoprolol Tartrate
This is not a comprehensive list of drug interactions. Consult your doctor to know more about other possible drug interactions.
What are the side effects of Amlodipine Besylate?
Most common side effects of Amlodipine Besylate are:
- Diarrhoea, nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain
- Heartburn, gas
Please stop your tablets and contact your physician immediately if you have
- severe dizziness and light headedness;
- feel like you may faint or might pass out;
- swelling in your hands, lower part of your legs (ankles or feet);
- pounding heartbeats or fluttering in your chest;
- irregular heart rate (arrhythmia);
- abnormal muscle movement;
- tremors or sudden involuntary shake in your body;
- chest pain, pain spreading to the arm or shoulder;
- cold sweat, general ill feeling.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Please consult your doctor to know more about other possible side effects.
What special precautions Amlodipine Besylate?
- Seek doctor’s advice before taking any other drug or herbal products while on Amlodipine Besylate.
- At the first few doze of Amlodipine Besylate your chest pain may increase or decrease depending on increase or decrease of the dosage. Call your doctor if your chest pain is severe or ongoing.
- Blood pressure should be checked regularly.
You are advised not to take Amlodipine Besylate if
- it has passed the expiry date of the medicine printed on the pack.
- the foil or packaging is torn or shows signs of tampering or there is discolouration.
What should you tell your doctor before taking Amlodipine Besylate?
Tell your doctor if
- you have heart related problems.
- you are allergic to Amlodipine Besylate or other antibiotics from the same class
- you are taking any other drugs, OTC medications, herbal products or nutritional supplements
- you have any liver disease.
- you are on a beta-blocker.
- you are planning a surgery or any procedure.
- you are pregnant or trying to conceive or are breastfeeding.
Frequently Asked Questions about Amlodipine Besylate
- Amlodipine Besylate tablets and oral suspension must be stored in a cool dry place.
- Amlodipine Besylate must be kept out of children’s reach.
Have a diet as advised by your doctor. Do not take grapefruit or grapefruit juice.
Amlodipine Besylate comes in oral tablets and oral suspension formulations.
Amlodipine Besylate does not affect the driving ability. However, if you are feeling dizzy, it is better to avoid driving.
It is better to avoid alcohol while taking Amlodipine Besylate as the medicine potentiates the effect of alcohol.
The contents of this website are for informational purposes only and not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Please seek the advice of a physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Do not disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.