What is ALDACTONE 25mg Tablet used for?
ALDACTONE 25mg Tablet is used for the treatment of hypertension and heart failure. It is also used to treat hypokalaemia (decreased potassium levels) and oedema caused due to heart failure or liver disease.
ALDACTONE 25mg Tablet may also be prescribed for other conditions as determined by the doctor.
How does ALDACTONE 25mg Tablet work?
ALDACTONE 25mg Tablet belongs to the class of drugs called aldosterone antagonists. Aldosterone is a hormone, which helps in retaining the sodium ions and excreting the potassium ions. ALDACTONE 25mg Tablet acts by binding to certain receptors in the kidney and blocking the action of aldosterone. This causes increased elimination of the fluids and decreased blood pressure.
How to take ALDACTONE 25mg Tablet?
The dosage and the drug form depend on the age, weight and medical condition of an individual. Take ALDACTONE 25mg Tablet as prescribed by your doctor.
Swallow the tablet whole. Do not crush or chew the tablet. Take the drug with or without food. However, taking the drug with food prevents stomach upset.
If you miss a dose of ALDACTONE 25mg Tablet, please take it immediately once you remember. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, then skip the missed dose and continue with your regular dosing schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for the missed dose.
What are the drugs that interact with ALDACTONE 25mg Tablet?
Drugs that interact with ALDACTONE 25mg Tablet include the following:
- Potassium chloride
This is not a comprehensive list of drug interactions. Consult your doctor to know more about other possible drug interactions.
What are the side effects of ALDACTONE 25mg Tablet?
The following are the most common side effects of ALDACTONE 25mg Tablet:
- Abdominal discomfort
The following are the severe side effects and you may require immediate medical attention:
- Electrolyte disturbances
- Breast pain
- Menstrual disturbances
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Please consult your doctor to know more about other possible side effects.
What special precautions should be followed while taking ALDACTONE 25mg Tablet?
- Avoid consumption of alcohol as it may alter the absorption of ALDACTONE 25mg Tablet.
- Avoid using the medicine if you are allergic to ALDACTONE 25mg Tablet or similar drugs.
- Be cautious while taking ALDACTONE 25mg Tablet if you have any kidney or liver impairment.
- Consult the doctor before taking any other drug along with ALDACTONE 25mg Tablet.
- Do not exceed the dose more than what is prescribed.
You are advised not to take ALDACTONE 25mg Tablet if
- it has passed the expiry date of the medicine printed on the pack.
- the foil or packaging is torn or shows signs of tampering or there is discolouration.
What should you tell your doctor before taking ALDACTONE 25mg Tablet?
- Tell your doctor if you have any history of hypertension, hepatic and renal disorders.
- Inform the doctor if you are taking any other drugs, OTC medications, herbal products or nutritional supplements.
- Inform the doctor if you have any history of allergic reaction with the usage of ALDACTONE 25mg Tablet.
- If you have to undergo any surgery or medical procedure, you must inform the doctor about the usage of ALDACTONE 25mg Tablet.
- Notify the doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
Frequently Asked questions about ALDACTONE 25mg Tablet
- What are the contraindications of ALDACTONE 25mg Tablet tablet?
- Should I follow any special dietary instructions while taking ALDACTONE 25mg Tablet?
- Do I need to be monitored for any laboratory parameters while taking ALDACTONE 25mg Tablet?
ALDACTONE 25mg Tablet is contraindicated in patients with acidosis and hyperkalaemia (increased potassium levels) conditions.
Yes, it is advised to avoid alcohol while taking ALDACTONE 25mg Tablet as it increases the risk of orthostasis.
Yes, it is advised to monitor for serum electrolyte levels, blood pressure and renal function while taking ALDACTONE 25mg Tablet.
The contents of this website are for informational purposes only and not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Please seek the advice of a physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Do not disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.