Sometimes it's hard to perfectly sum up exactly how we feel about our dogs, but a few people have done this so beautifully that you can relate to it well. Once such inspiring story is that of our very own Captain Cool. MS Dhoni’s love for his pets is no secret - even his Twitter bio says so.
Dhoni has won the hearts of many, not only for his spectacular performance on the field but also because of his undying love for dogs, whether they are his own or those that are homeless. He had once adopted a stray dog from a rescue home in Ranchi (2013) and had moved the residents to do the same. Even his wife Sakshi loves pets and has often been seen posing with their dogs.
Dhoni had once said in an interview to ESPNCricinfo that” I love to go back to Ranchi. I have three dogs at home. The best thing is that [whether I win a series or lose one], they treat me the same way. They greet me in the same way. That really relaxes me.”
While most dog owners like MSD enjoy sharing their lives with canine companions, many remain unaware of the physical and mental health benefits that they bring while playing with or snuggling up to a furry friend.
Here are the key benefits of pet therapy:
Dog owners are less likely to suffer from depression than those without pets.
- People with dogs have lower blood pressure in stressful situations than those without pets.
- Playing with a dog or cat can elevate levels of serotonin and dopamine, which calm and relax.
- Pet owners have lower triglyceride and cholesterol levels (indicators of heart disease) than those without pets.
- Heart attack patients with dogs survive longer than those without.
- Pet owners over age 65 make 30 percent fewer visits to their doctors than those without pets.
- Taking a dog for a walk, hike or run are fun and rewarding ways to fit healthy daily exercise into your schedule.
Caring for a dog can help you make healthy lifestyle changes. Now you know why MSD is the Coolest Captain of them all!