Palm sugar is a natural sweetener obtained from the sap present in the flower buds of coconut palm trees. It is a healthy alternative to regular white cane sugar, as it involves minimal processing, and no chemicals are used. Palm sugar is made by heating the sap until the moisture evaporates and gets a thick syrup, which is then further reduced to crystals. It is also known as Coconut Palm Sugar, Palm Jaggery and is available in block, granular and liquid forms. It is low in calories and packed with nutrients that offer a wide range of health benefits.
Palm sugar has mild caramel and earthy flavour, and it resembles honey in liquid form and in the granulated form it tastes like white sugar. It’s a popular ingredient in African and Southeast Asian cuisines and used largely for making delectable desserts, sauces, puddings, ice creams, Panna cottas and souffles.
With a low glycaemic index of 35, palm sugar is a healthier alternative to regular sugar, which makes it ideal for diabetes too. Also, it is a good source of natural dietary fibre called inulin which aids to keep blood sugar levels under control. Palm sugar is imbued with vast reserves of potassium, copper, zinc, iron, and manganese that confers healing wellness incentives. Being intrinsically rich in B vitamins such as thiamine, riboflavin, folic acid, choline and, majorly inositol it helps in the formation of healthy cells. Aside from these, it contains fair amounts of phytonutrients like polyphenols, flavonoids, anthocyanidin; and antioxidants which lower the risk of chronic disease.
Health Benefiting Properties
- Adding palm sugar to the diet helps in activating the digestive enzymes and cleanses the gastrointestinal tract
- Packed with a wealth of vitamins and antioxidants it boosts immune health and keeps infections at bay
- Rich in minerals like iron, copper, zinc palm sugar alleviates menstrual pain and improves blood haemoglobin level
- The presence of phytonutrients in palm sugar purifies the blood and improves the blood circulation
- Being an abundant source of fibre, minerals and vitamins promotes musculoskeletal health and triggers metabolism
- The natural cleansing property of palm sugar supports cleansing the respiratory tract, intestines, lungs, and stomach by clearing out the toxins from the system
- Packed with dietary fibre adding palm sugar to the diet regularise bowel movements and treats constipation and indigestion issues
- Palm sugar offers respite from scorching summers by cooling the body and instantly boosting energy levels
Here are some amazing reasons to add this natural sweetener into your diet regimen.
Foray this infographic for more details.