Hormonal imbalance is a condition where hormones are over or under produced, affecting physiology of body. It affects both male and female. Unlike females, male hormonal balance is difficult to diagnose.
Estrogen and testosterone are the male hormones, which in imbalanced conditions can cause depression, anxiety, reduced libido (sexual drive), heart problems, tiredness, weight gain, etc.
There are various reasons that can lead to hormonal imbalance.
- Psychological reasons: Issue of stress with work-life balance, can lead to hormonal issues.
- Lifestyle: The existing lifestyle, non-healthy food habits, less physical activity, can cause hormonal imbalance. Since it has become a trend to use steroids for body shaping, excess of cardio exercise can reduce testosterone and increase estrogen levels in body. Too much alcohol will also affect testosterone levels.
- Chemical Exposure: Skin care products or other chemical exposure such as plastics affects both testosterone and estrogen. These products contain “xenoestrogens” that can lead to hormonal imbalance.
- Other diseases: Thyroid, troubled digestion, diabetes, cardiovascular diseases, cancer, and viral infections are also associated with hormonal imbalances in men.
Hormonal imbalance in men can be treated using following options:
- Natural remedies: Zinc is an important component of male reproductive system, use of zinc supplements can be useful in overcoming hormonal imbalance.
- Diet and nutrition: Proper diet, omega 3 rich fatty acids, vitamins, proteins, minerals, high fibbers are useful.
- Hormonal therapies: Hormonal replacement therapies are also available.