Hyperacidity, also known as acid dyspepsia, is a common issue bothering most of the people. It is a medical disorder where the stomach produces an excess of acids, mainly hydrochloric by the gastric glands. Also Read: Acidity: Signs, Symptoms And Prevention
Hyperacidity is the result of an imbalance between the acid-secreting mechanism of the stomach and intestine and the shielding mechanism that provides safety. Generally, the stomach secretes hydrochloric acid which aids in the breaking down of food into smaller substances, thereby promoting the digestion process. However, when there is an excess build-up of hydrochloric acid in the stomach it leads to hyperactivity.
Belching A Lot? Try Some Of Our Wide-Range Of Ayurvedic Remedies To Treat Acidity!
Some of the causative factors that lead to hyperacidity include:
- Poor eating habits.
- Erratic meal timings and having a very late dinner.
- Stress and anxiety.
- Eating a lot of spicy, fried and junk foods.
- Excessive consumption of caffeinated beverages, like coffee or tea.
- Physical inactivity.
- Going to bed soon after having food.
- Smoking and alcohol abuse.
- Continued usage of certain medications.
- Disturbed sleeping pattern.
- Other conditions that may cause include pregnancy, obesity, ageing, and fasting.
Some Of The Signs And Symptoms Include:
- Bitter or sour belching
- Nausea and vomiting
- Throat irritation
- Abdominal distention
- Aversion towards food
- Mild chest pain
- Poor Appetite
Prevention And Home Remedies
Hyperacidity can be very well managed following certain preventive measures and home remedies that offers respite from hyperacidity.
- Practices mindful eating habits and eat a well-balanced and nutritious diet.
- Regularise meal patterns and timings.
- Avoid intake of spicy, sour, deep-fried and junk foods.
- Restrict the intake of caffeinated beverages.
- Quit smoking and limit alcohol consumption.
- Bee physically active and involve in moderate-intensity workouts.
- Maintain a proper sleeping pattern.
- Refrain from going to bed immediately after having food.
- Beat stress by involving in activities like yoga, meditation and cultivating some hobbies.
Amazing Home Remedies To Combat Hyperacidity
The amazing carminative and anti-ulcer properties of tulsi leaves helps to lower the gastric acid secretions and stimulate the digestive system to increase the secretion of mucus. Chew 2-3 tulsi leaves regularly to get instant relief from hyperacidity.
The potent anti-inflammatory effect of ginger lessens the flow back of stomach acid into the oesophagus, improves mucus production and works as a digestive aid. Have a glass of ginger tea soon after meals to get respite from acidity.
Cold milk is one of the time tested natural remedy for hyperacidity. The richness of calcium in milk averts excess secretion of hydrochloric acids and also absorbs the acids in the stomach. Drinking a glass of cold milk offers instant relief from burning sensation in the stomach or heartburn, however just have plain milk without the addition of sugar or sweeteners.
Mint leaves are a natural coolant and has the impressive carminative properties to pacify the acid secretions in the stomach. It is known to soothe abdominal cramps, acidity, flatulence and works as a digestive aid. Sip on a cup of mint tea to calm the irritated tummy and lessen acid secretions. Also Read: Pudina/Mint Leaves: Health Benefits Of Pudina Juice, Uses For Skin, Hair And Side Effects
Cumin Seeds (Jeera)
Ayurvedic medicine strongly recommends cumin seeds for treating all types of digestive woes. Cumin seeds stimulate saliva production which assists in the digestion process. It works as a potent acid neutralizer and helps to get cleared off acidity, bloating, flatulence and also heals the ulcer.