Wash. Dry. Repeat. This has been the mantra to maintain hand hygiene in the last few years. Washing our hands continuously has become one of the practices we’ve had to get used to during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Through this process of continuous cleaning of hands to keep infections at bay, we are also unknowingly stripping the sensitive skin of its natural moisture.
Dry hands could be irritating and uncomfortable. If you are someone striking a balance between work and home, staying indoors, a student or a front-line medical worker, wearing gloves all the time – let us give you the good news.
The condition of dry hands can be easily reversed and here is how you can get back your soft, smooth palms.
Expert Tips For Softer Hands
- Pat your hands dry with a clean towel after every wash. Use mild soap when at home and a good hand quality sanitizer to prevent infections, while stepping out
- Make it a habit to apply natural oils like coconut oil or olive oil or almond oil before going to bed to wake up with softer palms in the morning
- Trim your nails regularly and remove dead skin cells to prevent skin conditions like eczema
- Always wear gloves while washing dishes, clothes or while attending to household chores
- Dip your palms in lukewarm water with some rock salt to derive instant relief from pain
Simple Scrubs For Softer Hands
Oats and Coconut Oil Scrub:
2 tsp plain oats
1 tsp extra virgin coconut oil
Grind oats into a fine powder and mix it with coconut oil to form a fine paste
Apply it on your palms, hands and let it dry fully
Rinse it with warm water
Why It Works:
Coconut oil is a treasure trove of fatty acids that can nourish the skin from within, whereas the antioxidant, anti-inflammatory properties in oats eliminate dead skin cells and the natural compound saponin treats irritated, dry skin.
Sugar and Olive Oil Mix:
2 tsp sugar granules
2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
Mix sugar with olive oil and rub it on the palms, hands and forearms till the elbows
Allow it to dry completely before rinsing with lukewarm water
Rub some moisturizer for softer skin
Why It Works:
Granulated sugar effectively eliminates dry and dead skin cells. Using olive oil for skin health is a tried and tested remedy not only to restore moisture but also to combat other skin related problems like sudden breakouts of blisters, acne etc
Aloe Vera and Honey:
2 tsp aloe vera gel
1 tsp natural honey
Mix pure aloe vera gel with honey and apply it all over your hands and palms like a pack
Let it stay for 15 minutes and wash it with plain water
Why It Works:
Aloe vera is a great choice when it comes to skin care for its amazing skin healing and therapeutic properties. It not only hydrates the skin instantly but also retains the softness for longer hours. Honey eliminates bacteria, clears dead skin cells and helps in the production of new, healthy skin cells.