Chickenpox is an unpleasant and irritating disease, causing itchy rashes and lesions to appear all over the body. The best thing to do is to allow the virus to run its course. The infected person should take adequate rest and be careful not to scratch the pustules. Simple dietary strategies will help boost your immune system and speed-up recovery. Here are some diet tips:
Foods for a recovering patient:
- Adding a lot of raw fruit and vegetables in your diet can boost the immunity. Including a rainbow diet with different colours of fruit and vegetables provides you with valuable phytonutrients that can boost the immune system. If there are mouth sores, it is best to avoid citrus fruits which are acidic and can lead to irritation.
- Get adequate fluids in to prevent dehydration causing loss of appetite. Vegetable juices, tender coconut water, fresh juices, soups and plenty of water are amazing options. Boost your immune system by drinking decaffeinated herbal teas like chamomile, cinnamon, and basil tea which will help to rehydrate and boost your immune system.
- Include foods rich in amino acid lysine to help speed up healing of lesions. Some of the best sources are yoghurt, milk, and cheese.
- Coconut oil taken orally or in cooking is beneficial because of its antibacterial, antifungal and antiviral properties. Chilled yoghurt is the best choice to relieve painful mouth sores.
- Raw garlic an amazing natural antibiotic with incredible healing power. Eat it raw, crushed or added to soups.
Stay away from these foods
- Avoid salty, spicy, and acidic foods. These foods can cause irritation if you have sores in the mouth.
- Hard and crunchy foods may cause discomfort and can lead to inflammation, which slows down the healing of the sores. Opt for soft, easy-to-chew foods.
- Avoid processed, junk foods, sugary, and trans fats as these food cause inflammations and slow down the healing process.