Sleep plays a critical role in thinking and learning process. Due to lack of sleep these cognitive processes are disturbed in many ways. Inability to sleep, are usually triggered by stress, health condition, medications, and the type of food habit. Sleeplessness is also triggered by various internal and external environmental factors. Sleep deprivation may lead to impaired attention, alertness, concentration, reasoning, and problem solving therefore leading to difficulty in learns efficiently. In case of chronic sleep loss and sleep disorders there are possibilities of the following diseases; Heart diseases such as, heart attack, heart failure, irregular heartbeat, high blood pressure, stroke and even may lead to diabetes. Advanced stage of sleeplessness leads to insomnia.
There are a few health hazards associated with the lack of sleep which can contribute to the symptoms of depression. Sleep deprivation leads to poor health and strength. Some of the harmful effects of getting less sleep include:
• Release of a stress hormone ‘cortisol’ that can break down skin collagen lowering skin smoothness and elasticity.
• Impairing the ability of interpretation of events, make sound judgments, and you may not assess situations accurately or act on them wisely
• Affects the mental abilities and emotional state of a person
• More impatience and mood swings and decreased decision-making abilities
• Sleep deprivation cause weak immune system
• Long-term sleep deprivation increases risk for chronic illnesses like diabetes and heart diseases