Uses of Ramosetron
Ramosetron is used to treat nausea and vomiting due to chemotherapy or surgical procedures and symptoms of IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome) in adults.
Ramosetron: 5-HT3 (Serotonin) receptor antagonists
How Ramosetron works
Ramosetron effectively prevents nausea and vomiting by blocking the serotonin 5-HT3 receptor present in the gastrointestinal mucosa. It also treats irritable bowel syndrome by inhibiting the 5-HT3 receptor present in the myenteric plexus (which regulates bowel's movement).
Common side effects of Ramosetron
- headache, dizziness
When to consult your doctor
Consult your doctor if you experience:
- symptoms of ischemic colitis (such as abdominal pain and bloody stool)
Health Tips for Ramosetron
- Drink an adequate amount of water throughout the day to prevent dehydration, which can contribute to constipation
- Maintain a healthy lifestyle by eating a balanced diet rich in fiber, and whole grains, engaging regular exercise and practising stress reduction techniques to improve overall digestive health
- Avoid alcohol and smoking as these substances can worsen Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- Do not drive or operate any machinery if you experience dizziness or drowsiness after using Ramosetron
- Ramosetron is not recommended for use in pregnant and breastfeeding women