ZONEGRAN Tablet 10's
|Available substitute||2 substitute/s available|
Rs.132.00 (36% Savings)
Rs.133.00 (36% Savings)
Please note, before you can choose the low cost generic option, please ask your doctor to add the generic drug to your prescription.
What is Zonisamide used for?
Zonisamide is used for the treatment of seizures.
Zonisamide may also be prescribed for other conditions as determined by the doctor.
How does Zonisamide work?
Zonisamide belongs to the class of drugs called anti-convulsants. This drug acts by binding to sodium and calcium channels and prevents neuronal depolarisation. Thus, it prevents and controls the spread of seizures in the body.
How to take Zonisamide?
The dosage and the drug form depend on the age, weight and medical condition of an individual. Take Zonisamide as prescribed by your doctor.
- Swallow the tablet/capsule whole. Do not crush or chew the tablet/capsule. Take the drug with or without food. However, taking the drug with food prevents stomach upset.
If you miss a dose of Zonisamide, please take it immediately once you remember. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, then skip the missed dose and continue with your regular dosing schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for the missed dose.
The overdose symptoms of Zonisamide may include:
- Decreased renal function
- Respiratory depression
You must seek immediate medical care if you experience any of the above symptoms.
What are the drugs that interact with Zonisamide?
Drugs that interact with Zonisamide include the following:
This is not a comprehensive list of drug interactions. Consult your doctor to know more about other possible drug interactions.
What are the side effects of Zonisamide?
The following are the most common side effects of Zonisamide:
- Abdominal pain
- Difficulty in concentrating
- Dry mouth
- Fatigue Rhinitis
- Impaired memory
- Speech abnormalities
- Weight loss
The following are the severe side effects and you may require immediate medical attention:
- Aplastic anaemia
- Blood dyscrasias
- Epidermal necrosis
- Hepatic necrosis
- Hypersensitivity reactions
- Kidney stones
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Please consult your doctor to know more about other possible side effects.
What special precautions should be followed while taking Zonisamide?
- Avoid using the medicine if you are allergic to Zonisamide or similar drugs.
- Do not drive or operate heavy machinery if Zonisamide causes dizziness or blurred vision.
- Be cautious while taking Zonisamide if you have any kidney or liver impairment.
- Avoid Zonisamide during pregnancy or breastfeeding because the safe use of the drug is not yet established.
- Do not stop using the medication abruptly unless instructed by the doctor. Stopping the medication suddenly may cause the illness to return.
- Do not exceed the dose more than what is prescribed.
You are advised not to take Zonisamide if
- it has passed the expiry date of the medicine printed on the pack.
- the foil or packaging is torn or shows signs of tampering or there is discolouration.
What should you tell your doctor before taking Zonisamide?
- Tell your doctor if you have any history of liver or kidney impairment.
- Inform the doctor if you are taking any other drugs, OTC medications, herbal products or nutritional supplements.
- Inform the doctor if you have any history of allergic reaction with the usage of Zonisamide.
- Notify the doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
Frequently asked questions about Zonisamide
- Do I need to be monitored for any laboratory parameters while taking Zonisamide?
- Should I follow any special dietary instructions while taking Zonisamide?
- I am on Zonisamide for partial seizures. Can I stop the drug if I feel better?
- Is it safe to alter the dose of the Zonisamide?
It is advised to monitor your serum creatinine, serum bicarbonate, blood urea nitrogen and body temperature while taking Zonisamide.
Yes, it is advised to avoid consumption of alcohol while taking Zonisamide tablet/capsule as it increases the effect of the drug on the nervous system.
Consult the doctor once you feel better, as a change in the dose of the medicine may be recommended by your doctor depending on the nature of seizures.
Do not alter the dose of Zonisamide medicine without consulting the doctor. A sudden change in the dose may increase the risk of psychological side effects.
The contents of this website are for informational purposes only and not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Please seek the advice of a physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Do not disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.