ZOMELIS 50mg Tablet 14's
|Available substitute||3 substitute/s available|
Please note, before you can choose the low cost generic option, please ask your doctor to add the generic drug to your prescription.
What is Vildagliptin used for?
Vildagliptin is used for the treatment of type 2 diabetes. It is indicated in patients whose blood sugar levels are inadequately controlled by healthy diet and exercise.
Vildagliptin may also be prescribed for other conditions as determined by the doctor.
How does Vildagliptin work?
Vildagliptin belongs to the class of drugs called anti-diabetic agents. This drug acts by increasing the production of certain hormones, which helps in controlling blood sugar level.
How to take Vildagliptin?
The dosage and the drug form depend on the age, weight and medical condition of an individual. Take Vildagliptin as prescribed by your doctor.
Swallow the tablet whole. Do not crush or chew the tablet. Take the drug with or without food. However, taking the drug with food prevents stomach upset.
If you miss a dose of Vildagliptin, please take it immediately once you remember. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, then skip the missed dose and continue with your regular dosing schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for the missed dose.
What are the drugs that interact with Vildagliptin?
Drugs that interact with Vildagliptin include the following:
This is not a comprehensive list of drug interactions. Consult your doctor to know more about other possible drug interactions.
What are the side effects of Vildagliptin?
The following are the most common side effects of Vildagliptin:
- Joint pain
The following are the severe side effects and you may require immediate medical attention:
- Allergic skin reactions
- Hepatic dysfunction
- Increased heart rate
- Muscle pain
- Increased palpitations
- Severe diarrhoea
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Please consult your doctor to know more about other possible side effects.
What special precautions should be followed while taking Vildagliptin?
- Avoid using the medicine if you are allergic to Vildagliptin or similar drugs.
- Avoid consumption of alcohol as it may worsen the side effects of Vildagliptin.
- Do not drive or operate heavy machinery if Vildagliptin causes dizziness or blurred vision.
- Seek doctor’s advice before taking any other drug or herbal products while on Vildagliptin.
- Do not exceed the dose more than what is prescribed.
- If you have to undergo any surgery or medical procedure, you must inform the doctor about the use of Vildagliptin.
You are advised not to take Vildagliptin if
- it has passed the expiry date of the medicine printed on the pack.
- the foil or packaging is torn or shows signs of tampering or there is discolouration.
What should you tell your doctor before taking Vildagliptin?
- Tell your doctor if you have any history of cardiac, liver and kidney impairment.
- Inform the doctor if you are taking any other drugs, OTC medications, herbal products or nutritional supplements.
- Inform the doctor if you have any history of allergic reaction with the use of Vildagliptin.
- Notify the doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
Frequently asked questions about Vildagliptin
- Should I follow any special dietary instructions while taking Vildagliptin?
- Is it safe to alter the dose of Vildagliptin?
- Do I need to be monitored for any laboratory parameters while taking Vildagliptin?
- Can I take Vildagliptin tablet to treat type 1 diabetes?
Avoid consumption of alcohol while taking Vildagliptin tablet as it decreases the drug absorption.
Do not alter the dose of Vildagliptin tablet without consulting the doctor as it may lead to complications.
It is advised to monitor your liver function and blood glucose levels on a regular basis while taking Vildagliptin tablet.
Vildagliptin tablet is not prescribed for patients with type 1 diabetes. Please consult your doctor.
The contents of this website are for informational purposes only and not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Please seek the advice of a physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Do not disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.