What is ZOLMIST Nasal Spray used for?
ZOLMIST Nasal Spray is used for the treatment of migraine headaches.
ZOLMIST Nasal Spray may also be prescribed for other conditions as determined by the doctor.
How does ZOLMIST Nasal Spray work?
ZOLMIST Nasal Spray belongs to the class of drugs called anti-migraine agents. The drug acts by constricting the intracranial arteries, which inhibits the release of a neuropeptide. This helps in reducing the pain and inflammation associated with a migraine.
How to use ZOLMIST Nasal Spray?
The dosage and the drug form depend on the age, weight and medical condition of an individual. Use ZOLMIST Nasal Spray nasal spray as prescribed by your doctor.
Insert the tip of the nasal spray bottle into the nostril gently. Breathe in slowly through the nostril. While breathing, squirt one spray into the nostril. Remove the bottle and breathe out through the mouth. Repeat the procedure with the other nostril.
If you miss a dose of ZOLMIST Nasal Spray, please use it immediately once you remember. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, then skip the missed dose and continue with your regular dosing schedule. Do not use a double dose to make up for the missed dose.
What are the drugs that interact with ZOLMIST Nasal Spray?
Drugs that interact with ZOLMIST Nasal Spray include the following:
This is not a comprehensive list of drug interactions. Consult your doctor to know more about other possible drug interactions.
What are the side effects of ZOLMIST Nasal Spray?
The following are the most common side effects of ZOLMIST Nasal Spray:
- Dry mouth
- Heaviness and pressure in the chest/body
- Ischaemic colitis
- Neck/jaw/throat pain
- Postural hypotension
- Transient hypertension
The following are the severe side effects and you may require immediate medical attention:
- Altered body temperatures
- Cardiac arrhythmias
- Chest pain
- Coronary vasospasm
- Gastrointestinal infarction
- Heart attack
- Hypersensitivity reactions
- Subarachnoid haemorrhage
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Please consult your doctor to know more about other possible side effects.
What special precautions should be followed while using ZOLMIST Nasal Spray?
- Avoid using the medicine if you are allergic to ZOLMIST Nasal Spray or similar drugs.
- Avoid consumption of alcohol as it may alter the absorption of ZOLMIST Nasal Spray.
- Do not drive or operate heavy machinery if ZOLMIST Nasal Spray causes dizziness or blurred vision.
- Do not stop using the medication abruptly unless instructed by the doctor. Stopping the medication suddenly may cause the illness to return.
- Do not exceed the dose more than what is prescribed.
- Be cautious while using ZOLMIST Nasal Spray if you have any kidney or liver impairment.
You are advised not to use ZOLMIST Nasal Spray if
- it has passed the expiry date of the medicine printed on the pack.
- the foil or packaging is torn or shows signs of tampering or there is discolouration.
What should you tell your doctor before using ZOLMIST Nasal Spray?
- Tell your doctor if you have any history of diabetes, hypotension, heart, liver or kidney disorders.
- Inform the doctor if you are using any other drugs, OTC medications, herbal products or nutritional supplements.
- Inform the doctor if you have any history of allergic reaction with the usage of ZOLMIST Nasal Spray.
- Notify the doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
Frequently Asked questions about ZOLMIST Nasal Spray
- Should I follow any special dietary instructions while using ZOLMIST Nasal Spray?
- Do I need to be monitored for any laboratory parameters while using ZOLMIST Nasal Spray?
- Is it safe to alter the dose of the ZOLMIST Nasal Spray?
It is advised to avoid consumption of alcohol while using ZOLMIST Nasal Spray nasal spray.
It is advised to closely monitor your blood pressure and ECG levels while using ZOLMIST Nasal Spray nasal spray.
Do not alter the dose of the medicine as it increases the risk of side effects of the nervous system.
The contents of this website are for informational purposes only and not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Please seek the advice of a physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Do not disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.