What is UNICONTIN E 400mg Tablet used for?
UNICONTIN E 400mg Tablet is used for the treatment of lung diseases, such as asthma, bronchitis and emphysema. It is also used to prevent shortness of breath and wheezing.
UNICONTIN E 400mg Tablet may also be prescribed for other conditions as determined by the doctor.
How does UNICONTIN E 400mg Tablet work?
UNICONTIN E 400mg Tablet belongs to the class of drugs called xanthines. It works by relaxing and dilating the muscles of the bronchial airways and reduces the lung’s response to irritants, such as histamine, adenosine and allergen.
How to take UNICONTIN E 400mg Tablet?
The dosage and the drug form depend on the age, weight and medical condition of an individual. Take UNICONTIN E 400mg Tablet as prescribed by your doctor.
Swallow the tablet whole. Do not crush or chew the tablet. Take UNICONTIN E 400mg Tablet with or without food.
If you miss a dose of UNICONTIN E 400mg Tablet, please take it immediately once you remember. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, then skip the missed dose and continue with your regular dosing schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for the missed dose.
What are the drugs that interact with UNICONTIN E 400mg Tablet?
The drugs that interact with UNICONTIN E 400mg Tablet are:
This is not a comprehensive list of drug interactions. Consult your doctor to know more about other possible drug interactions.
What are the side effects of UNICONTIN E 400mg Tablet?
The following are the most common side effects of UNICONTIN E 400mg Tablet:
- Abdominal pain
- Trouble sleeping
The following are the severe side effects and you may require immediate medical attention:
- Irregular heartbeat
- Muscle cramps
- Increased urination
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Please consult your doctor to know more about other possible side effects.
What special precautions should be followed while taking UNICONTIN E 400mg Tablet?
- Seek doctor’s advice before taking any other drug or herbal products while on UNICONTIN E 400mg Tablet
- Do not drive or operate heavy machinery if UNICONTIN E 400mg Tablet causes dizziness or blurred vision.
- Avoid consumption of alcohol as it may worsen the side effects of UNICONTIN E 400mg Tablet.
- Do not exceed the dose more than what is prescribed.
- Do not stop using the medication abruptly unless instructed by the doctor. Suddenly stopping the medication may cause the illness to return.
- Avoid intake of foods rich in fat within 1 hour before or after taking the drug.
You are advised not to take UNICONTIN E 400mg Tablet if
- it has passed the expiry date of the medicine printed on the pack.
- the foil or packaging is torn or shows signs of tampering or there is discolouration.
What should you tell your doctor before taking UNICONTIN E 400mg Tablet?
- Tell your doctor if you are allergic to UNICONTIN E 400mg Tablet or similar drugs.
- Inform the doctor if you are taking any other drugs, OTC medications, herbal products or nutritional supplements.
- Inform your doctor about the pre-existing heart, liver or kidney problems.
- Inform your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
Frequently Asked questions about UNICONTIN E 400mg Tablet
- How long can I take UNICONTIN E 400mg Tablet?
- What are the overdose symptoms of UNICONTIN E 400mg Tablet?
- Do I need to follow any dietary precautions while taking UNICONTIN E 400mg Tablet?
- Is it safe to take Disulfiram while on UNICONTIN E 400mg Tablet?
- Is it common to develop nausea and vomiting while taking UNICONTIN E 400mg Tablet?
UNICONTIN E 400mg Tablet should be used only for the prescribed duration. Do not discontinue unless instructed by your doctor.
The overdose symptoms of UNICONTIN E 400mg Tablet are seizures, gastrointestinal disturbance and abnormal heart rhythm. Please inform your doctor if you develop any of these symptoms.
Yes, avoid consuming alcohol while taking UNICONTIN E 400mg Tablet. Also, avoid having excess quantity of tea or coffee.
Be cautious while taking Disulfiram while on UNICONTIN E 400mg Tablet as it may increase serum theophylline levels. However, please consult your doctor.
Nausea and vomiting are the common side effects of UNICONTIN E 400mg Tablet. However, please consult your doctor if the symptoms are severe and persist for an extended period.
The contents of this website are for informational purposes only and not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Please seek the advice of a physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Do not disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.