TIZAN 2mg Tablet 10's
What is Tizanidine used for?
Tizanidine is used for the treatment of muscle spasms associated with musculoskeletal disorders, such as multiple sclerosis and spinal cord injury.
Tizanidine may also be prescribed for other conditions as determined by the doctor.
How does Tizanidine work?
Tizanidine belongs to the class of drugs called muscular relaxants. This drug acts by inhibiting the presynaptic motor neurons. Thus, it helps in relaxing muscle spasms in the body.
How to use Tizanidine?
The dosage and the drug form depend on the age, weight and medical condition of an individual. Take Tizanidine as prescribed by your doctor.
Swallow the tablet whole. Do not crush or chew the tablet. Take the drug with or without food. However, taking the drug with food prevents stomach upset.
If you miss a dose of Tizanidine, please take it immediately once you remember. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, then skip the missed dose and continue with your regular dosing schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for the missed dose.The overdose symptoms of Tizanidine may include:
You must seek immediate medical care if you experience any of the above symptoms.
What are the drugs that interact with Tizanidine?
Drugs that interact with Tizanidine include the following:
- Ethinyl estradiol
This is not a comprehensive list of drug interactions. Consult your doctor to know more about other possible drug interactions.
What are the side effects of Tizanidine?
The following are the most common side effects of Tizanidine:
- Abdominal discomfort
- Loss of appetite
- Pale skin
- Weight gain
The following are the severe side effects and you may require immediate medical attention:
- Blurry vision
- Burning micturition
- Chest pain
- Difficulty in breathing
- Severe diarrhoea
- Unusual bleeding
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Please consult your doctor to know more about other possible side effects.
What special precautions should be followed while taking Tizanidine?
- Avoid consumption of alcohol as it may alter the absorption of Tizanidine.
- Do not exceed the dose more than what is prescribed.
- Keep the medication out of reach of children.
- Consult the doctor before taking any other drug along with Tizanidine.
- Seek doctor’s advice before taking any other drug or herbal products while on Tizanidine.
You are advised not to take Tizanidine if
- it has passed the expiry date of the medicine printed on the pack.
- the foil or packaging is torn or shows signs of tampering or there is discolouration.
What should you tell your doctor before taking Tizanidine?
- Tell your doctor if you have any history of chronic infections and liver or kidney disorders before using Tizanidine medicine.
- Inform the doctor if you are taking any other drugs, OTC medications, herbal products or nutritional supplements.
- Inform the doctor if you have any history of allergic reaction with the usage of Tizanidine.
- Notify the doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
Frequently asked questions about Tizanidine
- I am on Tizanidine for abdominal cramps. Can I stop the drug if I feel better?
- Do I need to be monitored for any laboratory parameters while taking Tizanidine?
- Do I need to follow any special dietary instructions while taking Tizanidine?
- Is it safe to alter the dose of Tizanidine?
Yes, you can stop the use of Tizanidine once you feel better. However, it is advised to consult the doctor before discontinuing the medication.
Yes, it is advised to monitor for the blood tests and liver function tests while taking Tizanidine.
Yes, it is advised not to consume alcohol and caffeine products while taking Tizanidine tablet.
Do not alter the dose of Tizanidine tablet without consulting the doctor, as a change in the drug dose may increase the risk of side effects.
The contents of this website are for informational purposes only and not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Please seek the advice of a physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Do not disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.