SUSTAMETO 50MG TABLET 10'S
What is Metoprolol Tartrate used for?
Metoprolol Tartrate is used in the treatment of hypertension and angina. It is also used to prevent a heart attack.
Metoprolol Tartrate may also be prescribed for other conditions as determined by the doctor.
How does Metoprolol Tartrate work?
Metoprolol Tartrate belongs to a class of drugs called anti-hypertensives. It works by interfering with the action of certain chemicals in the body, such as epinephrine, which helps in reducing the blood pressure and heart rate.
How to administer Metoprolol Tartrate?
The dosage and the drug form depends on the age, weight and medical condition of an individual.
Swallow the tablet whole. Do not crush or chew the tablet. Take Metoprolol Tartrate with or without food.
If you miss a dose of Metoprolol Tartrate, please take it immediately once you remember. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, then skip the missed dose and continue with your regular dosing schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for the missed dose.
What are the drugs that interact with Metoprolol Tartrate?
The drugs that interact with Metoprolol Tartrate are:
This is not a comprehensive list of drug interactions. Consult your doctor to know more about other possible drug interactions.
What are the side effects of Metoprolol Tartrate?
The following are the most common side effects of Metoprolol Tartrate:
- Shortness of breath
- Profuse sweating
The following are the severe side effects, and you may require immediate medical attention:
- Slow heartbeat
- Decreased sexual ability
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Please consult your doctor to know more about other possible side effects.
What special precautions should be followed while taking Metoprolol Tartrate?
- Seek doctor’s advice before taking any other drug or herbal products while on Metoprolol Tartrate
- Do not drive or operate heavy machinery if Metoprolol Tartrate causes dizziness or blurred vision.
- Inform your doctor if you have rapid swelling of lips, throat and tongue.
- Do not stop using the medication abruptly unless instructed by the doctor. Suddenly stopping the medication may cause the illness to return.
- Do not exceed the dose more than what is prescribed.
- Avoid consumption of alcohol as it may cause excessive drowsiness when taken with Metoprolol Tartrate.
What should you tell your doctor before taking Metoprolol Tartrate?
- Tell your doctor if you are allergic to Metoprolol Tartrate.
- Inform the doctor if you are taking any other drugs, OTC medications, herbal products or nutritional supplements.
- Inform your doctor if you have any pre-existing depression, liver or heart diseases.
Frequently asked questions about Metoprolol Tartrate
- Is it safe to take Metoprolol Tartrate while suffering from sleep apnea?
- Is Metoprolol Tartrate safe to use in pregnant women?
- I was prescribed with Mefloquine for malaria. Is Metoprolol Tartrate safe for me?
No, it is not advisable to take Metoprolol Tartrate while suffering from any breathing disorder. However, please consult your doctor for further information.
Metoprolol Tartrate is not advised during pregnancy and it is not safe as it may affect the growing foetus. Please consult your doctor before taking the drug.
No, it is not advisable to take Metoprolol Tartrate if you have been taking Mefloquine for malaria. Please inform your doctor immediately.
The contents of this website are for informational purposes only and not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Please seek the advice of a physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Do not disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.