What is SHELCAL OS 250mg Tablet used for?
SHELCAL OS 250mg Tablet is used to supplement calcium in the body and treat hyperacidity.
SHELCAL OS 250mg Tablet may also be prescribed for other conditions as determined by the doctor.
How does SHELCAL OS 250mg Tablet work?
In SHELCAL OS 250mg Tablet, Alfacalcidol is a vitamin supplement and is an active metabolite of vitamin D. It acts by increasing the absorption of phosphate and calcium in the gastrointestinal tract, thereby increasing the serum calcium and phosphate levels.
Calcium Carbonate is a dietary calcium supplement. It helps in providing calcium to the body and prevents the absorption of phosphate from the gastrointestinal tract in people with kidney disease.
How to take SHELCAL OS 250mg Tablet?
The dosage and the drug form depend on the age, weight and medical condition of an individual. Take SHELCAL OS 250mg Tablet tablet/capsule as prescribed by your doctor.
Swallow the tablet/capsule whole. Do not crush or chew the tablet/capsule. Take SHELCAL OS 250mg Tablet with or without food.
If you miss a dose of SHELCAL OS 250mg Tablet, please take it immediately once you remember. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, then skip the missed dose and continue with your regular dosing schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for the missed dose.
What are the drugs that interact with SHELCAL OS 250mg Tablet?
Drugs that interact with SHELCAL OS 250mg Tablet are as follows:
This is not a comprehensive list of drug interactions. Consult your doctor to know more about other possible drug interactions.
What are the side effects of SHELCAL OS 250mg Tablet?
The following are the most common side effects of SHELCAL OS 250mg Tablet:
- Stomach pain
- Dry mouth
- Pain in the muscles
- Weight loss
- Muscle pain
- Mood disorders
The following are the severe side effects and you may require immediate medical attention:
- Difficulty in passing urine
- Metallic taste
- Excessive thirst
- Swelling of the body parts
- Urge to pass urine
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Please consult your doctor to know more about other possible side effects.
What special precautions should be followed while taking SHELCAL OS 250mg Tablet?
- Seek doctor’s advice before taking any other drug or herbal products while on SHELCAL OS 250mg Tablet
- Avoid SHELCAL OS 250mg Tablet in case of allergic reactions.
- Keep the medication out of reach of children.
- Avoid SHELCAL OS 250mg Tablet during pregnancy or breastfeeding because the safe use of the drug is not yet established.
You are advised not to take SHELCAL OS 250mg Tablet if
- it has passed the expiry date of the medicine printed on the pack.
- the foil or packaging is torn or shows signs of tampering or there is discolouration.
What should you tell your doctor before taking SHELCAL OS 250mg Tablet?
- Inform your doctor if you have any pre-existing liver, kidney or heart diseases.
- Inform the doctor if you are taking any other drugs, OTC medications, herbal products or nutritional supplements.
- Inform the doctor if you have any hypersensitivity to any of the drugs in SHELCAL OS 250mg Tablet
Frequently Asked questions about SHELCAL OS 250mg Tablet
- How SHELCAL OS 250mg Tablet is stored?
- Can I discontinue taking SHELCAL OS 250mg Tablet when I feel better?
- What care should I take while taking SHELCAL OS 250mg Tablet?
- How is SHELCAL OS 250mg Tablet dose prescribed in children?
- Do I need to be monitored for any laboratory parameters while taking SHELCAL OS 250mg Tablet?
SHELCAL OS 250mg Tablet should be stored at room temperature (15 – 30OC) away from heat and moisture.
Do not stop taking SHELCAL OS 250mg Tablet abruptly unless instructed by the doctor. Stopping the medication suddenly may cause the illness to return.
It is advised to avoid eating phosphate-rich foods and reduce the consumption of cereals and spinach. Do not take other medications within 2 hours before or after taking the drug.
SHELCAL OS 250mg Tablet is prescribed to children depending on their weight. Discuss with your doctor about the dosage and usage of the drug.
Yes, it is advised to periodically monitor blood calcium and phosphate levels while taking SHELCAL OS 250mg Tablet.
The contents of this website are for informational purposes only and not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Please seek the advice of a physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Do not disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.