What is PRODOM TABLET and why is it prescribed?
PRODOM TABLET contains Domperidone which belongs to the group of medicines called Dopamine antagonists. It is used in the prevention of nausea and vomiting associated with central or local origin, chemotherapy or radiotherapy, drugs or migraine. PRODOM TABLET can also be used in relief of postprandial symptoms of fullness, nausea, epigastric bloating and belching (burping) that is occasionally accompanied by stomach discomfort and heartburn.
How long can I take PRODOM TABLET?
It is recommended that PRODOM TABLET be taken for the shortest period and at the lowest dose. This is because PRODOM TABLET can cause an irregular heartbeat when taken for a longer period or at a high dose. Ask for your doctor’s advice.
Can I take PRODOM TABLET with antibiotics?
Use of PRODOM TABLET with antibiotics like erythromycin, levofloxacin, and some antifungals is not recommended as this can cause interaction. Please consult your doctor for advice before using any antibiotics with PRODOM TABLET.
Does PRODOM TABLET increase milk secretion?
Yes, PRODOM TABLET can increase milk secretion also known as galactorrhoea. This is an uncommon side effect of using PRODOM TABLET. Talk to your doctor if you are experiencing this side effect while taking this medicine.
Does PRODOM TABLET cause heart problems?
PRODOM TABLET may be associated with an increased risk of heart problems (like an irregular heartbeat) and heart attacks. The risk also increases when PRODOM TABLET is given together with other medicines. Inform the doctor of your medication history when taking PRODOM TABLET.
Does PRODOM TABLET cause dry mouth?
Yes, PRODOM TABLET can cause dry mouth. A dry mouth can be managed by chewing sugar-free gum or sucking on sugar-free hard candies to stimulate the flow of saliva. Sip water at regular intervals of time. Do not use mouthwashes that contain alcohol because they can be drying. Consult your physician for advice.
What is the best time to take PRODOM TABLET?
It is recommended to take PRODOM TABLET before meals. If taken after meals, absorption of the medicine is somewhat delayed. Patients should try to take each dose of PRODOM TABLET at a scheduled time to avoid missing a dose.
1. KD Tripathi. Antiemetics. Essentials of Medical Pharmacology. Eighth edition. 2019. Page - 414.
2. Rhew K, Han N, Oh JM. Impact of Safety Warning on Domperidone Prescribing for Geriatric Patients in South Korea: Analysis of National Insurance Claim Data. NIH National Library of Medicine, National Centre for Biotechnology Information. Pubmed Central. August 2019. [Accessed on 3rd November 2022] https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6719182/
3. NIH National Library of Medicine, National Centre for Biotechnology Information. Pubchem. Domperidone. [Accessed on 3rd November 2022] https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/Domperidone
4. Savio C Reddymasu, Irfan Soykan, Richard W McCallum. Domperidone: review of pharmacology and clinical applications in gastroenterology. NIH National Library of Medicine, National Centre for Biotechnology Information. Pubmed.gov. September 2007. [Accessed on 3rd November 2022] https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/17488253/
5. S.C. Zentiva S.A. Electronic Medicines Compendium (emc). [Revised in April 2021] [Accessed on 3rd November 2022] https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/files/pil.4177.pdf
6. Torrent Pharmaceuticals Ltd. Domstal DT (Domperidone). [Revised in February 2022]. [Accessed on 3rd November 2022] https://www.torrentian.com/pisheet/Upload/PI_Sheet/3082.pdf
7. Torrent Pharmaceuticals Ltd. Domstal (Domperidone). [Revised in April 2022]. [Accessed on 3rd November 2022] https://www.torrentian.com/pisheet/Upload/PI_Sheet/1623.pdf
8. Torrent Pharmaceuticals Ltd. Domstal OD (Domperidone). [Accessed on 3rd November 2022] https://www.torrentian.com/pisheet/Upload/PI_Sheet/408.pdf
9. Janssen-Cilag (New Zealand) Ltd. Medsafe. [Revised in November 2020]. [Accessed on 3rd November 2022] https://www.medsafe.govt.nz/profs/Datasheet/m/motiliumtab.pdf
10. Morepen Laboratories Ltd. DOM DT 20mg, DOM DT 5mg [Accessed on 03rd November 2022] https://www.morepen.com/medicus/antibiotics