PRADAXA 75MG CAPSULE 10'S
What is Dabigatran Etexilate used for?
Dabigatran Etexilate capsule is used for the treatment of the following:
- Deep vein thrombosis
- Pulmonary embolism
- Systemic embolism
Dabigatran Etexilate may also be prescribed for other conditions as determined by the doctor.
How does Dabigatran Etexilate work?
Dabigatran Etexilate belongs to the class of drugs anti-coagulant drugs. This drug acts by inhibiting free thrombin, fibrin-bound thrombin and thrombin-induced platelet aggregation. Thus, it helps in preventing clot formation.
How to take Dabigatran Etexilate?
The dosage and the drug form depend on the age, weight and medical condition of an individual. Take Dabigatran Etexilate capsule as prescribed by your doctor.
- Swallow the capsule Do not crush or tear open the capsule.
If you miss a dose of Dabigatran Etexilate, please take it as soon as you remember. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, then skip the missed dose and continue with your regular dosing schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for the missed dose.
What are the drugs that interact with Dabigatran Etexilate?
Drugs that interact with Dabigatran Etexilate include the following:
This is not a comprehensive list of drug interactions. Consult your doctor to know more about other possible drug interactions.
What are the side effects of Dabigatran Etexilate?
The following are the most common side effects of Dabigatran Etexilate:
- Burning in the throat
- Stomach discomfort
The following are the severe side effects and you may require immediate medical attention:
- Chest tightness
- Difficulty breathing
- Difficulty swallowing
- Fast heartbeat
- Severe dizziness
- Swelling of face, lips eyelids or tongue
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Please consult your doctor to know more about other possible side effects.
What special precautions should be followed while taking Dabigatran Etexilate?
- Avoid taking the medicine if you are allergic to Dabigatran Etexilate or similar drugs.
- Avoid taking the medicine if you are using other drugs to treat or prevent clots.
- Do not stop taking the medication abruptly unless instructed by the doctor. Stopping the medication increases the risk of stroke.
- Avoid consumption of alcohol as it may alter the absorption of Dabigatran Etexilate.
- Activities such as shaving or brushing the teeth should be done with extra care to prevent bleeding.
- Include fibre rich foods such as lentils, black beans, apples and oatmeal to relieve constipation.
You are advised not to take Dabigatran Etexilate if
- it has passed the expiry date of the medicine printed on the pack.
- the foil or packaging is torn or shows signs of tampering or there is discolouration.
What should you tell your doctor before taking Dabigatran Etexilate?
- Tell your doctor if you have any history of kidney disease, bleeding stomach ulcer or an active bleeding from a surgery.
- Inform the doctor if you are taking any other drugs, OTC medications, herbal products or nutritional supplements.
Frequently Asked Questions about Dabigatran Etexilate
- What are the contraindications of Dabigatran Etexilate?
- Should I follow any dietary instructions while taking Dabigatran Etexilate?
- Is it common to experience a headache while taking Dabigatran Etexilate
Dabigatran Etexilate is contraindicated in acute haemorrhage conditions.
No. It is advisable to follow a normal diet unless specified by your doctor.
No. Headache is one of the severe side effects of Dabigatran Etexilate. Immediately consult a doctor on experiencing such symptoms.
The contents of this website are for informational purposes only and not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Please seek the advice of a physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Do not disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.