What is OSTEO Injection used for?
OSTEO Injection is used to supplement calcium in the body and treat hyperacidity.
OSTEO Injection may also be prescribed for other conditions as determined by the doctor.
How does OSTEO Injection work?
In OSTEO Injection, Alfacalcidol is a vitamin supplement and is an active metabolite of vitamin D. It acts by increasing the absorption of phosphate and calcium in the gastrointestinal tract, thereby increasing the serum calcium and phosphate levels.
Calcium Carbonate is a dietary calcium supplement. It helps in providing calcium to the body and prevents the absorption of phosphate from the gastrointestinal tract in people with kidney disease.
How to take OSTEO Injection?
The dosage and the drug form depend on the age, weight and medical condition of an individual. Take OSTEO Injection tablet/capsule as prescribed by your doctor.
Swallow the tablet/capsule whole. Do not crush or chew the tablet/capsule. Take OSTEO Injection with or without food.
If you miss a dose of OSTEO Injection, please take it immediately once you remember. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, then skip the missed dose and continue with your regular dosing schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for the missed dose.
What are the drugs that interact with OSTEO Injection?
Drugs that interact with OSTEO Injection are as follows:
This is not a comprehensive list of drug interactions. Consult your doctor to know more about other possible drug interactions.
What are the side effects of OSTEO Injection?
The following are the most common side effects of OSTEO Injection:
- Stomach pain
- Dry mouth
- Pain in the muscles
- Weight loss
- Muscle pain
- Mood disorders
The following are the severe side effects and you may require immediate medical attention:
- Difficulty in passing urine
- Metallic taste
- Excessive thirst
- Swelling of the body parts
- Urge to pass urine
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Please consult your doctor to know more about other possible side effects.
What special precautions should be followed while taking OSTEO Injection?
- Seek doctor’s advice before taking any other drug or herbal products while on OSTEO Injection
- Avoid OSTEO Injection in case of allergic reactions.
- Keep the medication out of reach of children.
- Avoid OSTEO Injection during pregnancy or breastfeeding because the safe use of the drug is not yet established.
You are advised not to take OSTEO Injection if
- it has passed the expiry date of the medicine printed on the pack.
- the foil or packaging is torn or shows signs of tampering or there is discolouration.
What should you tell your doctor before taking OSTEO Injection?
- Inform your doctor if you have any pre-existing liver, kidney or heart diseases.
- Inform the doctor if you are taking any other drugs, OTC medications, herbal products or nutritional supplements.
- Inform the doctor if you have any hypersensitivity to any of the drugs in OSTEO Injection
Frequently Asked questions about OSTEO Injection
- How OSTEO Injection is stored?
- Can I discontinue taking OSTEO Injection when I feel better?
- What care should I take while taking OSTEO Injection?
- How is OSTEO Injection dose prescribed in children?
- Do I need to be monitored for any laboratory parameters while taking OSTEO Injection?
OSTEO Injection should be stored at room temperature (15 – 30OC) away from heat and moisture.
Do not stop taking OSTEO Injection abruptly unless instructed by the doctor. Stopping the medication suddenly may cause the illness to return.
It is advised to avoid eating phosphate-rich foods and reduce the consumption of cereals and spinach. Do not take other medications within 2 hours before or after taking the drug.
OSTEO Injection is prescribed to children depending on their weight. Discuss with your doctor about the dosage and usage of the drug.
Yes, it is advised to periodically monitor blood calcium and phosphate levels while taking OSTEO Injection.
The contents of this website are for informational purposes only and not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Please seek the advice of a physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Do not disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.