|Available substitute||3 substitute/s available|
Rs.50.00 (56% Savings)
Rs.73.05 (36% Savings)
Rs.93.00 (19% Savings)
Please note, before you can choose the low cost generic option, please ask your doctor to add the generic drug to your prescription.
What is Ornidazole used for?
Ornidazole tablet/syrup is used to treat bacterial and protozoal infections, such as amoebiasis, amoebic dysentery, trichomoniasis and giardiasis.
Ornidazole injection is used to treat severe amoebic dysentery, amoebic liver abscess and anaerobic bacterial infections.
Ornidazole may also be prescribed for other conditions as determined by the doctor.
How does Ornidazole work?
Ornidazole belongs to the class of drugs called imidazole derivatives. This drug acts by binding to certain regions of bacterial DNA and inhibits the bacterial protein synthesis, which is necessary for its survival. Thus, it helps in treating bacterial infections.
How to use Ornidazole?
The dosage and the drug form depend on the age, weight and medical condition of an individual. Use Ornidazole as prescribed by your doctor.
- Swallow the tablet whole. Do not crush or chew the tablet.
- Ornidazole injection should be administered only under medical supervision.
- Shake the suspension well before taking each dose, to ensure the uniform mixing of the drug.
If you miss a dose of Ornidazole tablet/syrup, take it immediately once you remember. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, then skip the missed dose and continue with your regular dosing schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for the missed dose.
If you miss a dose of Ornidazole injection, please consult your doctor immediately.
What are the drugs that interact with Ornidazole?
Drugs that interact with Ornidazole include the following:
- Vecuronium bromide
This is not a comprehensive list of drug interactions. Consult your doctor to know more about other possible drug interactions.
What are the side effects of Ornidazole?
The following are the most common side effects of Ornidazole:
- Poor coordination
- Taste impairment
The following are the severe side effects and you may require immediate medical attention:
- Difficulty in breathing
- Unusual tiredness
- Temporary loss of consciousness
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Please consult your doctor to know more about other possible side effects.
What special precautions should be followed while using Ornidazole?
- Avoid using the medicine if you are allergic to Ornidazole or similar drugs.
- Avoid alcohol consumption while using Ornidazole as it may interfere with the absorption of the drug.
- Do not drive or operate heavy machinery if Ornidazole causes dizziness or blurred vision.
- Keep the medication out of reach of children.
- Use a measuring cup while taking each dose.
- Do not stop using the medication abruptly unless instructed by the doctor. Stopping the medication suddenly may cause the illness to return.
You are advised not to use Ornidazole if
- it has passed the expiry date of the medicine printed on the pack.
- the foil or packaging is torn or shows signs of tampering or there is discoloration.
What should you tell your doctor before using Ornidazole?
- Tell your doctor if you have any medical condition such as kidney or liver impairment, or heart disorders.
- Inform the doctor if you are taking any other drugs, OTC medications, herbal products or nutritional supplements.
- Notify your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Tell the doctor if you have undergone any surgical procedure.
Frequently asked questions about Ornidazole
- Is it safe to discontinue using Ornidazole once the symptoms subside?
- How should be Ornidazole stored?
- How long can I take Ornidazole?
No, it is not advised to discontinue the medicine without doctor’s consent.
Ornidazole should be stored at room temperature (15 – 30O C) away from sunlight, heat and radiation.
Ornidazole should be taken for the prescribed duration. Please consult your doctor if you have completed the course.
The contents of this website are for informational purposes only and not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Please seek the advice of a physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Do not disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.