What is ONGLYZA 5mg Tablet used for?
ONGLYZA 5mg Tablet is used to treat high blood glucose levels in type 2 diabetes mellitus patients. This drug should be used in conjunction with proper diet and regular exercise for effective glycaemic control.
ONGLYZA 5mg Tablet may also be prescribed for other conditions as determined by the doctor.
How does ONGLYZA 5mg Tablet work?
ONGLYZA 5mg Tablet belongs to the class of drugs called anti-diabetic agents. This drug acts by inhibiting certain enzymes, which results in a decrease in incretin hormone levels. It also acts by inhibiting the glucagon production and stimulating insulin release from pancreatic cells. Thus, it helps in lowering the blood glucose levels.
How to take ONGLYZA 5mg Tablet?
The dosage and the drug form depend on the age, weight and medical condition of an individual. Take ONGLYZA 5mg Tablet as prescribed by your doctor.
Swallow the whole tablet. Do not crush or chew the tablet. Take the drug 30 minutes before meals.
If you miss a dose of ONGLYZA 5mg Tablet, please take it immediately once you remember. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, then skip the missed dose and continue with your regular dosing schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for the missed dose.
The overdose symptoms of ONGLYZA 5mg Tablet may include:
- Extreme weakness
- Trouble in speaking
- Fast heart rate
You must seek immediate medical care if you experience any of the above symptoms.
What are the drugs that interact with ONGLYZA 5mg Tablet?
Drugs that interact with ONGLYZA 5mg Tablet include the following:
This is not a comprehensive list of drug interactions. Consult your doctor to know more about other possible drug interactions.
What are the side effects of ONGLYZA 5mg Tablet?
The following are the most common side effects of ONGLYZA 5mg Tablet:
- Sore throat
The following are the severe side effects, and you may require immediate medical attention:
- Unusual tiredness
- Irregular heartbeat
- Slurred speech
- Difficulty in breathing
- Increased appetite
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Please consult your doctor to know more about other possible side effects.
What special precautions should be followed while taking ONGLYZA 5mg Tablet?
- Avoid taking this medicine if you are allergic to ONGLYZA 5mg Tablet or similar drugs.
- Avoid consumption of alcohol as it may alter the absorption of ONGLYZA 5mg Tablet.
- Be cautious while taking ONGLYZA 5mg Tablet if you have any kidney or liver impairment.
- Do not drive or operate heavy machinery if ONGLYZA 5mg Tablet causes dizziness or blurred vision.
- Do not stop taking this medication abruptly unless instructed by the doctor. Stopping the medication suddenly may cause the illness to return.
- Do not exceed the dose more than prescribed.
You are advised not to take ONGLYZA 5mg Tablet if
- it has passed the expiry date of the medicine printed on the pack.
- the foil or packaging is torn or shows signs of tampering, or there is discolouration.
What should you tell your doctor before taking ONGLYZA 5mg Tablet?
- Tell your doctor if you have any history of heart, liver or kidney diseases.
- Inform the doctor if you are taking any other drugs, OTC medications, herbal products or nutritional supplements.
- Notify your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
Frequently Asked questions about ONGLYZA 5mg Tablet
- Is it common to experience seizures while taking ONGLYZA 5mg Tablet?
- Can I use atorvastatin while taking ONGLYZA 5mg Tablet?
- Is ONGLYZA 5mg Tablet recommended in the treatment of diabetic ketoacidosis?
- Should I follow any special dietary instructions while taking ONGLYZA 5mg Tablet?
No. Seek immediate medical attention if you experience convulsions while taking ONGLYZA 5mg Tablet, as it might be the symptom of overdose of ONGLYZA 5mg Tablet.
No. Concomitant use of these drugs may cause severe drug interactions. Therefore, it is advised to avoid atorvastatin while taking ONGLYZA 5mg Tablet.
No. ONGLYZA 5mg Tablet is not recommended in the treatment of diabetic ketoacidosis. Please consult your doctor.
Yes, proper diabetic diet and regular exercises are advised while taking ONGLYZA 5mg Tablet.
The contents of this website are for informational purposes only and not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Please seek the advice of a physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Do not disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.