What is NOVOCAL TABLET used for?
NOVOCAL TABLET capsule, tablet, syrup is used for the treatment of calcium deficiency disorders, hypoparathyroidism and postmenopausal osteoporosis.
NOVOCAL TABLET may also be prescribed for other conditions as determined by the doctor.
How does NOVOCAL TABLET work?
In NOVOCAL TABLET, Calcitriol belongs to the class of drugs called vitamin D analogues. The drug acts by binding to the intracellular receptors, which function as transcription factors to regulate the gene expression. It also acts by increasing calcium absorption in the intestine, thereby increasing the serum calcium levels.
Calcium is used as a supplement. It acts by regulating the uptake and binding of amino acids. It acts by maintaining the calcium balance in the body.
How to take NOVOCAL TABLET?
The dosage and the drug form depend on the age, weight and medical condition of an individual. Take NOVOCAL TABLET capsule/tablet/syrup as prescribed by your doctor.
- Swallow the tablet/capsule Do not crush or chew the tablet/capsule.
- Take the drug with or without food. However, taking the drug with food prevents stomach upset.
- In case of syrup , shake the suspension well before taking each dose so as to ensure the uniform mixing of the drug.
- Use a measuring cup while taking each dose.
If you miss a dose of NOVOCAL TABLET, please take it as soon as you remember. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, then skip the missed dose and continue with your regular dosing schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for the missed dose.
The overdose symptoms of NOVOCAL TABLET include the following:
- Loss of appetite
- Unusual weakness
- Abdominal cramps
You must seek immediate medical care if you experience any of the above symptoms.
What are the drugs that interact with NOVOCAL TABLET?
Drugs that interact with NOVOCAL TABLET include the following:
- Ferrous fumarate
This is not a comprehensive list of drug interactions. Consult your doctor to know more about other possible drug interactions.
What are the side effects of NOVOCAL TABLET?
The following are the most common side effects of NOVOCAL TABLET:
- Abdominal pain
- Dry mouth
- Loss of appetite
The following are the severe side effects and you may require immediate medical attention:
- Abdominal pain
- Increased thirst
- Muscle pain
- Irregular heartbeat
- Severe dizziness
- Trouble breathing
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Please consult your doctor to know more about other possible side effects.
What special precautions should be followed while taking NOVOCAL TABLET?
- Avoid taking the medicine if you are allergic to NOVOCAL TABLET or similar drugs.
- Avoid taking NOVOCAL TABLET if you are suffering from hypercalcemia (increased levels of calcium in the blood).
- Keep the medication out of reach of children.
- Be cautious while taking NOVOCAL TABLET if you have any kidney impairment.
You are advised not to take NOVOCAL TABLET if
- it has passed the expiry date of the medicine printed on the pack.
- the foil or packaging is torn or shows signs of tampering or there is discolouration.
What should you tell your doctor before taking NOVOCAL TABLET?
- Tell your doctor if you have any history of heart diseases, renal dysfunction or undergoing dialysis treatment.
- Inform the doctor if you are taking any other drugs, OTC medications, herbal products or nutritional supplements.
Frequently Asked Questions about NOVOCAL TABLET
- Is it safe to alter the dose of NOVOCAL TABLET medicine for a faster recovery?
- Can I take NOVOCAL TABLET during pregnancy?
- Do I need to be monitored for any laboratory parameters while taking NOVOCAL TABLET?
- How should NOVOCAL TABLET be stored?
No. It is not advisable to alter the dose of NOVOCAL TABLET without doctor’s consent.
Consult your doctor to discuss the potential risks and benefits of NOVOCAL TABLET during pregnancy.
It is required to monitor the levels of serum calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, and alkaline phosphatase levels while taking NOVOCAL TABLET medicine.
NOVOCAL TABLET should be stored between 15-300C. Protect the medication from heat, light, and moisture.
The contents of this website are for informational purposes only and not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Please seek the advice of a physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Do not disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.