What is NOSTIPAN?
- NOSTIPAN contains Lactulose
- It makes the stool softer and easier to pass, by drawing water into the bowel
WARNING & PRECAUTIONS
DIRECTIONS FOR USE
Talk to your doctor before taking this medicine, if you
- are allergic to NOSTIPAN or any other ingredients of this medicine
- have a rare problem called 'galactosaemia'
- have a blockage in the bowel
- suffer from unexplained stomach pain
- have diabetes
- have glucose-galactose malabsorption
- Talk to your doctor before taking this medicine if you are pregnant, might become pregnant or are breast-feeding
- In special circumstances your doctor may prescribe NOSTIPAN for a child, infant or baby. In these cases, your doctor will supervise the treatment carefully
- Always take NOSTIPAN exactly as your doctor have told you
- It is recommended that you drink plenty of fluids (approximately 6-8 glasses throughout the day)
- Swallow the dose immediately
- NOSTIPAN takes 2 to 3 days to start working
- After this time, you may be able to reduce the dose you take according to your needs
- If you have diabetes and are treated for hepatic encephalopathy, your dose of NOSTIPAN will be higher. This high dose contains a large amount of sugar
- Therefore, your doctor may recommend that you need to adjust the dose of your anti-diabetic medicine
Adults and adolescents: The starting dose is 15-45ml per day. After this the dose can be adjusted to 15-30ml daily.
Children 7 to 14 years: The starting dose is 15ml daily. After this the dose can be adjusted to 10-15ml daily.
Children 1-6 years: The usual dose is 5-10ml daily.
Infants under 1 year: The usual dose is up to 5ml daily.
Hepatic encephalopathy (adults only)
The usual starting dose is 3 to 4 times a day of 30-45ml.
If you take more NOSTIPAN
- If you take more NOSTIPAN talk to a doctor. You may have diarrhoea and abdominal pain
If you forget to take NOSTIPAN
- If you forget a dose of NOSTIPAN, just take the next dose at the usual time
- Do not take a double dose to make up for a forgotten dose
If you stop taking NOSTIPAN
- Do not stop or change the treatment before talking to your doctor
Like all medicines, NOSTIPAN can cause side effects, although not everybody gets them.
The contents of this website are for informational purposes only and not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Please seek the advice of a physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Do not disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.