What is LASIX 40mg Tablet used for?
LASIX 40mg Tablet is used to treat high blood pressure and fluid overload that is associated with heart, liver, and kidney diseases. It is indicated for individuals with the following conditions:
- Hypercalcaemia (increased serum calcium levels)
- Oedema (swelling due to fluid accumulation)
- Hyperkalaemia (increased serum potassium levels)
- Nephrotic syndrome
LASIX 40mg Tablet may also be prescribed for other conditions as determined by the doctor.
How does LASIX 40mg Tablet work?
LASIX 40mg Tablet belongs to the class of drugs called loop diuretics. The drug acts by blocking the absorption of chloride, sodium, and water from the filtered fluid in the kidney tubules. This results in the increased output of urine. Thus, it helps lower the blood pressure and reduce swelling.
How to use LASIX 40mg Tablet?
The dosage and the drug form depends on the age, weight and medical condition of an individual. LASIX 40mg Tablet may cause frequent urination. Therefore, take the drug at least four hours before bedtime.
- For tablet dosage form, swallow the tablet whole, but do not crush or chew the tablet. Take LASIX 40mg Tablet with or without food.
- For syrup dosage form, measure the prescribed amount of liquid before taking each dose.
- For injection dosage form, LASIX 40mg Tablet injection is administered only under the supervision of healthcare Do not self-administer.
If you miss a dose of LASIX 40mg Tablet, consult your doctor immediately.
The overdose symptoms of oral LASIX 40mg Tablet may include:
- Increased thirst
- Profuse sweating
- Extreme weakness
- Dry skin
What are the drugs that interact with LASIX 40mg Tablet?
The drugs that interact with LASIX 40mg Tablet are:
- Acetylsalicylic acid
- Chloral hydrate
This is not a comprehensive list of drug interactions. Consult your doctor to know more about other possible drug interactions.
What are the side effects of LASIX 40mg Tablet?
The following are the most common side effects of LASIX 40mg Tablet oral tablet/syrup/injection:
- Kidney problems
The following are the severe side effects and you may require immediate medical attention:
- Blurred vision
- Skin reactions
- Tinnitus – ringing in ears
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Please consult your doctor to know more about other possible side effects.
What special precautions should be followed while using LASIX 40mg Tablet?
- Seek doctor’s advice before taking any other drug or herbal products while on LASIX 40mg Tablet
- Do not drive or operate heavy machinery if the LASIX 40mg Tablet causes dizziness or blurred vision.
- Use a measuring cup while taking each dose of LASIX 40mg Tablet syrup.
- Shake the LASIX 40mg Tablet suspension well before taking each dose to ensure the uniform mixing of the drug.
- Drink adequate amount of water to prevent dehydration that may occur due to LASIX 40mg Tablet.
- Avoid prolonged exposure to sunlight while on LASIX 40mg Tablet medication.
You are advised not to take LASIX 40mg Tablet if
- it has passed the expiry date of the medicine printed on the pack.
- the foil or packaging is torn or shows signs of tampering or there is discolouration.
What should you tell your doctor before using LASIX 40mg Tablet?
- Tell your doctor if you are allergic to LASIX 40mg Tablet.
- Inform the doctor if you are taking any other drugs, OTC medications, herbal products or nutritional supplements.
- Tell your doctor if you have prolonged muscle weakness or dizziness.
- Inform your doctor if you have any pre-existing renal failure, liver or heart diseases.
Frequently Asked questions about LASIX 40mg Tablet
- How should LASIX 40mg Tablet be stored?
- Do I need to be monitored for any laboratory parameters while taking LASIX 40mg Tablet?
- How long can I take LASIX 40mg Tablet?
- Do I need to follow any dietary instructions while on LASIX 40mg Tablet medication?
- Is it safe to alter the dose of the LASIX 40mg Tablet?
LASIX 40mg Tablet should be stored at room temperature (20 – 25OC). Keep the medicine away from direct sunlight.
Yes, as LASIX 40mg Tablet is used to treat hypertension, your doctor will recommend regular monitoring of blood pressure.
LASIX 40mg Tablet should be used only for the prescribed duration. Please consult your doctor if the course is completed.
LASIX 40mg Tablet may cause low blood potassium levels. Therefore, you must eat foods rich in potassium such as leafy vegetables, avocados, and bananas.
No, LASIX 40mg Tablet dose is prescribed based on the complexity of the condition. Therefore, altering the dose is not advised.
The contents of this website are for informational purposes only and not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Please seek the advice of a physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Do not disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.