What is HALOVATE Ointment used for?
HALOVATE Ointment is a steroid used to treat skin inflammation associated with the following conditions:
- Allergic skin reactions
HALOVATE Ointment may also be prescribed for other conditions as determined by the doctor.
How does HALOVATE Ointment work?
HALOVATE Ointment belongs to the class of drugs called corticosteroids. This drug acts by inducing the inhibitory proteins called as lipocortins. These lipocortins control the synthesis of inflammatory mediators such as leukotrienes and prostaglandins by inhibiting the release of arachidonic acid. Thus, the drug reduces the inflammation.
How to use HALOVATE Ointment?
The dosage and the drug form depend on the age, weight and medical condition of an individual. Use HALOVATE Ointment as prescribed by your doctor.
For topical application, apply a thin layer of HALOVATE Ointment ointment over the affected area of the skin and rub it gently.
If you miss a dose of HALOVATE Ointment, please use it immediately once you remember. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, then skip the missed dose and continue with your regular dosing schedule. Do not use a double dose to make up for the missed dose.
What are the drugs that interact with HALOVATE Ointment?
Drugs that interact with HALOVATE Ointment include the following:
This is not a comprehensive list of drug interactions. Consult your doctor to know more about other possible drug interactions.
What are the side effects of HALOVATE Ointment?
The following are the most common side effects of HALOVATE Ointment:
- Blisters on the skin
- Burning sensation
- Dry skin
- Skin rash
The following are the severe side effects and you may require immediate medical attention:
- Skin discolouration
- Skin thinning
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Please consult your doctor to know more about other possible side effects.
What special precautions HALOVATE Ointment?
- Avoid using the medicine if you are allergic to HALOVATE Ointment or similar drugs.
- Avoid application of topical pain relievers over the inflamed skin.
- Avoid contact of HALOVATE Ointment with eyes or mucous membranes.
- Do not use HALOVATE Ointment cream/ointment more often or longer than recommended.
What should you tell your doctor before taking HALOVATE Ointment?
- Inform your doctor if you have any cuts or scrapes on the skin before using HALOVATE Ointment medication.
- Tell your doctor if you are using Prednisolone or its analogues.
- Inform your doctor if you have any recent history of vaccination.
Frequently Asked Questions about HALOVATE Ointment
- What are the other formulations of HALOVATE Ointment available?
- How long can I use HALOVATE Ointment?
- How should HALOVATE Ointment be stored?
- Is it safe to alter the dose of HALOVATE Ointment cream/ointment?
- What are the overdose symptoms of HALOVATE Ointment ointment?
HALOVATE Ointment is available as cream, lotion and ointment dosage forms.
HALOVATE Ointment should not be used for more than two weeks. However, you must use the drug for the prescribed duration. Consult your doctor if you have to discontinue HALOVATE Ointment medication.
HALOVATE Ointment is stored at room temperature (15 – 30OC). Keep the medicine away from direct sunlight.
No, altering the dose of HALOVATE Ointment is not advised. HALOVATE Ointment dose should be used as prescribed.
The overdose symptoms of HALOVATE Ointment ointment include skin rash and swelling. Consult your doctor if you experience any of the above symptoms.
The contents of this website are for informational purposes only and not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Please seek the advice of a physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Do not disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.