|Available substitute||82 substitute/s available|
Rs.14.23 (42% Savings)
Rs.14.44 (41% Savings)
Rs.14.50 (40% Savings)
Rs.14.92 (39% Savings)
Rs.15.00 (38% Savings)
Please note, before you can choose the low cost generic option, please ask your doctor to add the generic drug to your prescription.
What is Glimepiride used for?
Glimepiride is an oral anti-diabetic medicine, which is used for the treatment of high blood sugar levels in patients with type 2 diabetes. This drug is used in conjunction with proper diet and exercise regimen.
Glimepiride may also be prescribed for other conditions as determined by the doctor.
How does Glimepiride work?
Glimepiride belongs to the sulfonylurea class of insulin secretagogues. It decreases the blood glucose levels by stimulating the insulin release from the pancreatic cells and also increases the insulin sensitivity at the target sites.
How to take Glimepiride?
The dosage and the drug form depend on the age, weight and medical condition of an individual. Take Glimepiride as prescribed by your doctor.
Swallow the tablet whole. Do not crush or chew the tablet. This drug is usually taken once a day with the first meal of the day.
If you miss a dose of Glimepiride, please take it immediately once you remember. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, then skip the missed dose and continue with your regular dosing schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for the missed dose.
The overdose symptoms of Glimepiride may include:
- Extreme weakness
What are the drugs that interact with Glimepiride?
Drugs that interact with Glimepiride include the following:
This is not a comprehensive list of drug interactions. Consult your doctor to know more about other possible drug interactions.
What are the side effects of Glimepiride?
The following are the most common side effects of Glimepiride combination:
- Abdominal pain
- Mood swings
- Unusual weight gain
- Photosensitivity reactions
- Blurred vision
The following are the severe side effects and you may require immediate medical attention:
- Dark-coloured urine
- Lactic acidosis
- Yellow-coloured eyes
- Yellow-coloured skin
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Please consult your doctor to know more about other possible side effects.
What special precautions Glimepiride?
- Avoid using the medicine if you are allergic to Glimepiride or similar drugs.
- Avoid consumption of alcohol as it may worsen the side effects of Glimepiride.
- Do not exceed the dose more than what is prescribed.
- Avoid prolonged exposure to sunlight while taking Glimepiride.
- Do not stop using the medication abruptly unless instructed by the doctor. Discontinuing the medication suddenly may increase the severity of the condition.
- Do not drive or operate heavy machinery if Glimepiride causes dizziness or blurred vision.
You are advised not to take Glimepiride if
- it has passed the expiry date of the medicine printed on the pack.
- the foil or packaging is torn or shows signs of tampering or there is discolouration.
What special precautions should be followed while taking Glimepiride?
- Tell your doctor if you have any history of liver or kidney disorders.
- Inform the doctor if you are taking any other drugs, OTC medications, herbal products or nutritional supplements.
- If you have to undergo any radiological procedures, you must inform the doctor about the usage of Glimepiride medicine.
- Avoid Glimepiride during pregnancy or breastfeeding because the safe use of the drug is not yet established.
Frequently Asked Questions about Glimepiride:
- How should Glimepiride be stored?
- Should I follow any special dietary instructions while taking Glimepiride?
- What are the other formulations of Glimepiride available?
- Do I need to be monitored for any laboratory parameters while taking Glimepiride?
- Is it safe to alter the dose of Glimepiride?
Glimepiride is stored at room temperature (25 – 30OC). Keep the medicine away from direct sunlight.
You must follow dietary recommendations provided by your dietician. Glimepiride works effectively when used along with proper diet and exercise.
Glimepiride is available in tablet and capsule dosage forms.
Yes, regular monitoring of blood sugar levels is advised while on Glimepiride.
No. Altering the dose of Glimepiride medicine may lead to low blood sugar levels (hypoglycaemia).
The contents of this website are for informational purposes only and not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Please seek the advice of a physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Do not disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.