- Lab Tests
- Health Corner
ETOSPAZ MR 4 TABLET is a combination of Etoricoxib and Thiocolchicoside which belongs to the group of medicines called Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAID) and Muscle relaxants. It is used to reduce pain and swelling in the joints and muscles in osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis, gout and muscle spasm. This medicine is also used for the short-term treatment after dental surgery for moderate pain.
Muscle spasm is the rapid spontaneous contractions of the muscle, which can be painful and uncomfortable. When the nerve impulses are damaged or interrupted that control muscle movement, it could lead to muscle spasms. Symptoms include muscle tightness, joint stiffness, unusual posture, difficulty in moving and pain in affected muscles and joints.
ETOSPAZ MR 4 TABLET is not recommended for use in patients having inflammatory bowel disease, severe congestive heart failure, peptic ulcer or cerebrovascular disease. Consult your doctor for advice.
Before taking ETOSPAZ MR 4 TABLET, inform your doctor if you have blood disorders, kidney problems, liver problems or heart problems.
ETOSPAZ MR 4 TABLET is not recommended to use among pregnant and breastfeeding women. The most common side effects of this medicine are stomach pain, dry socket, edema, dizziness, headache, palpitations, arrhythmia, constipation, diarrhea, indigestion, gastritis, nausea and vomiting. Consult your doctor if the above side effects worsens or persist for a longer duration.
ETOSPAZ MR 4 TABLET reduces pain and swelling in the joints and muscles, whereas Etoricoxib works by blocking the release of certain chemical messengers that cause pain and inflammation and Thiocolchicoside works on the centers in the brain and spinal cord to relieve muscle stiffness or spasm and improves pain and movement of muscles.
Take ETOSPAZ MR 4 TABLET as advised by your physician. Swallow the medicine with a glass of water. Do not crush or chew the medicine. Your doctor will decide the correct dose and duration for you depending upon your age, body weight and disease condition.
Stop taking ETOSPAZ MR 4 TABLET and contact your doctor immediately if you experience the following side effects:
Nausea or Vomiting:
Take this medicine with or just after meals. Stick to simple meals. Avoid eating rich or spicy food. Consult your doctor for advice if you experience nausea for a long time.
Eat plenty of fiber-rich foods such as fresh fruits, vegetables and cereals and drink plenty of water. Exercise more regularly.
Drink lots of fluids, such as water or fruit juice to keep yourself hydrated. Do not consume any medicine on your own without consulting your doctor.
Try to rest and relax. Eat and drink slowly or try to have smaller and frequent meals. Keep a heat pad on your stomach. If the symptom does not improve, contact your doctor.
Loss of appetite:
Eat when you are hungry. Eat smaller meals more often than usual. Snack only when you're hungry. Eat a nutritious snack that is rich in calories and protein, such as dried fruit and nuts.
ETOSPAZ MR 4 TABLET is not recommended for use in pregnant women. Consult your doctor for advice.
ETOSPAZ MR 4 TABLET is not recommended for use in breastfeeding women. Consult your doctor for advice.
Do not drive or operate any machines if you experience dizziness or sleepiness. Consult your doctor for advice.
Avoid consumption of alcohol while taking this medicine because it can aggravate your existing condition.
ETOSPAZ MR 4 TABLET is not recommended for use in patients having severe kidney disease. Consult your doctor for advice.
ETOSPAZ MR 4 TABLET is not recommended for use in patients having severe liver problems. Consult your doctor for advice.
Do not take ETOSPAZ MR 4 TABLET if you are allergic to Etoricoxib, Thiocolchicoside or to any of the other ingredients of this medicine.
ETOSPAZ MR 4 TABLET is not recommended for use if you have or had high blood pressure that has not been controlled by treatment, heart problems (heart failure), angina (chest pain), heart attack or bypass surgery. It should be used with caution if you have any mild to moderate heart problems. Consult your doctor for advice.
ETOSPAZ MR 4 TABLET is not recommended for use if you:
Tell your physician before taking this medicine if you:
Use in pediatrics:
ETOSPAZ MR 4 TABLET is not recommended for use in children and adolescents (below 16 years of age). Consult your doctor before taking it.
Use in geriatrics:
ETOSPAZ MR 4 TABLET should be used with caution in elderly patients (aged above 65 years). Consult your doctor before taking it.
A. Drug-Drug interactions:
Inform to your physician, if you are taking,
If you or anyone else accidentally took too much of this medicine, consult your doctor immediately.
|Pharmacological Category||:|| |
Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAID), Muscle relaxants
|Therapeutic Indication||:|| |
Treats inflammatory musculoskeletal disorders associated with painful muscle spasm
|Dosage Forms||:||Tablet, Capsule, Soft Gel Capsules|
Can ETOSPAZ MR 4 TABLET cause dizziness?
Yes. This medicine can cause dizziness in some people. Try to rest and relax. Get enough sleep. Avoid driving or operating any machines while you are feeling dizzy. Avoid consumption of alcohol as it can aggravate your dizziness. If the symptom persists for a longer time, contact your doctor for advice.
What precaution to be taken if I miss a dose of ETOSPAZ MR 4 TABLET?
If a dose of ETOSPAZ MR 4 TABLET is missed, then take the next dose at the usual time. Do not take a double dose to make up for a forgotten missed dose.
How to stop ETOSPAZ MR 4 TABLET?
Do not stop taking ETOSPAZ MR 4 TABLET without consulting with your doctor, even if you feel better. Stopping may worsen the condition.
How to take ETOSPAZ MR 4 TABLET?
Take ETOSPAZ MR 4 TABLET as advised by your doctor. Swallow the medicine as a whole and do not crush or chew the medicine.
Is it safe to use ETOSPAZ MR 4 TABLET during pregnancy?
ETOSPAZ MR 4 TABLET is generally not recommended to use in pregnant women. Consult your doctor before taking it.
1. Tilo Grosser, Emer M. Smyth, and Garret A. FitzGerald. Pharmacotherapy of Inflammation, Fever, Pain, and Gout. Goodman & Gilman’s: The Pharmacological basics of Therapeutics. 13th Edition. New York McGraw Hill Medical 2018. Page – 687-709.
2. Priyanka S, Manju J and Girish K. A Comparative Study of Efficacy and Tolerability of Fixed-Dose Combination of Etoricoxib and Thiocolchicoside versus Thiocolchicoside alone in Patients with Painful Muscle Spasms. Biomedical and Pharmacology Journal. February 2022. [Accessed on 1st June 2022] https://biomedpharmajournal.org/vol15no1/a-comparative-study-of-efficacy-and-tolerability-of-fixed-dose-combination-of-etoricoxib-and-thiocolchicoside-versus-thiocolchicoside-alone-in-patients-with-painful-muscle-spasms/
3. Dam Kim1, Soo-Kyung Cho, Seoung Wan Nam, Hyuk Hee Kwon, Sun-Young Jung, Chan Hong Jeon, Seul Gi Im, Dalho Kim, Eun Jin Jang, Yoon-Kyoung Sung. Cardiovascular and Gastrointestinal Effects of Etoricoxib in the Treatment of Osteoarthritis: A Systematic Review and Network Meta-analysis. Journal of Rheum. October 2017. [Accessed on 1st June 2022] https://synapse.koreamed.org/articles/1064345
4. DM Pharma. Etoricoxib, Thiocolchicoside Tablet. [Accessed on 1st June 2022] http://www.dmpharma.co.in/Etoricoxibthiocolchicoside.html
5. Mylan UK Healthcare Limited. Electronic Medicines Compendium (EMC). [Revised on September 2020] [Accessed on 1st June 2022] https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/files/pil.8537.pdf
6. European Medicinal Agency. November 2013. [Accessed on 1st June 2022] https://www.ema.europa.eu/en/documents/referral/thiocolchicoside-article-31-referral-annex-iii_en.pdf
7. Taj Pharmaceuticals Ltd. Electronic Medicines Compendium (EMC). [Accessed on 1st June 2022] http://pro.tajpharma.com/pdf/thiocolchicoside-capsules-pil-taj-pharmaceuticals.pdf
The contents of this website are for informational purposes only and not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Please seek the advice of a physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Do not disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.