ENDACE 160mg Tablet 10's
What is Megestrol Acetate used for?
Megestrol Acetate is primarily used for the treatment of breast cancer and endometrial cancer. It is also used as a supportive therapy for anorexia and cachexia (muscle wasting).
Megestrol Acetate may also be prescribed for other conditions as determined by the doctor.
How does Megestrol Acetate work?
Megestrol Acetate belongs to the class of drugs called hormonal agents. This drug is a potent agonist of progesterone that acts by lowering the levels of oestrogen in the body, which inhibits the cancer growth stimulated by oestrogen.
How to take Megestrol Acetate?
The dosage and the drug form depend on the age, weight and medical condition of an individual. Take Megestrol Acetate as prescribed by your doctor.
Swallow the tablet whole. Do not crush or chew the tablet. Take the drug with or without food. However, taking the drug with food prevents stomach upset.
If you miss a dose of Megestrol Acetate, please take it immediately once you remember. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, then skip the missed dose and continue with your regular dosing schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for the missed dose.
The overdose symptoms of Megestrol Acetate may include:
- Chest pain
- Shortness of breath
- Unsteady gait
What are the drugs that interact with Megestrol Acetate?
Drugs that interact with Megestrol Acetate include the following:
This is not a comprehensive list of drug interactions. Consult your doctor to know more about other possible drug interactions.
What are the side effects of Megestrol Acetate?
The following are the most common side effects of Megestrol Acetate:
- Weight gain
- Fluid retention
- Hot flashes
The following are the severe side effects, and you may require immediate medical attention:
- Vaginal bleeding
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Please consult your doctor to know more about other possible side effects.
What special precautions should be followed while taking Megestrol Acetate?
- Avoid using the medicine if you are allergic to Megestrol Acetate or similar drugs.
- Avoid Megestrol Acetate during pregnancy or breastfeeding because the safe use of the drug is unknown.
- Do not stop using the medication abruptly unless instructed by the doctor.
- Do not exceed the dose more than prescribed.
You are advised not to take Megestrol Acetate if
- it has passed the expiry date of the medicine printed on the pack.
- the foil or packaging is torn or shows signs of tampering or there is discolouration.
What should you tell your doctor before taking Megestrol Acetate?
- Tell your doctor if you have any history of heart, liver, kidney or respiratory diseases.
- Inform the doctor if you are taking any other drugs, OTC medications, herbal products or nutritional supplements.
- Inform the doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
Frequently asked questions about Megestrol Acetate
- How should Megestrol Acetate be stored?
- Do I need to be monitored for any laboratory parameters while taking Megestrol Acetate?
- Is it safe to use Megestrol Acetate in diabetic patients?
- What are the other formulations of Megestrol Acetate available?
Megestrol Acetate should be stored at room temperature, in a cool and dry place.
Physical examination, blood electrolyte levels, blood sugar levels and heart function tests must be regularly monitored while using Megestrol Acetate.
No. It is not safe to use Megestrol Acetate in diabetic patients, as the drug may further increase the blood sugar levels.
Megestrol Acetate is available as a tablet and oral suspension.
The contents of this website are for informational purposes only and not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Please seek the advice of a physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Do not disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.